In Our Opinion: Ticketing changes ignore student loyalty

We recognize that the Student Ticketing Office has made quite a few positive strides in the past few years.

But the new system, as different as it is, still has plenty of failures of its own.
The most egregious of these is the abandonment of loyalty points. This affects all upperclassmen, but some more than others. Rising seniors have spent the last three years building up loyalty points by not only consistently attending football games, but showing up hours early to earn extra points and cheering on other varsity sports, including a basketball team that went 2-14 in the SEC. Ten percent of these points may have gone toward securing them a season pass, but if they still didn't get one, they've been dropped to the "loyalty" level of a freshman who's never attended a game as a student. Considering the fact that any games they do manage to get tickets for, and any loyalty points gained from this year, won't mean anything after they graduate, this system effectively says that for a few unlucky seniors, their devotion over the past three years now means nothing to the university.

In order to solve this particular problem, unclaimed tickets should enter into a lottery, similar to the previous system, that takes loyalty and class standing into consideration. For all the problems the previous system had, it tried to be fair. This new system has abandoned that ideal, leaving unlucky students to clamor over the ticket scraps.