Pitcher Dyson makes major league debut

Former Gamecock appeared in first game with Toronto Blue Jays

The Gamecocks finally have a national champion in the major leagues.

Former USC pitcher and member of the 2010 national title squad Sam Dyson was called up to the big leagues as a member of the Toronto Blue Jays, making his major league debut Thursday against the Kansas City Royals. Dyson tossed 0.1 inning of scoreless relief in the Blue Jays’ 9-6 loss to the Royals.

After being promoted to the club on Thursday afternoon, Dyson saw immediate action that evening. The former Gamecock was called on to pitch with two outs in the top of the seventh inning with Toronto trailing 5-2. After walking Billy Butler on four consecutive pitches to start his major league career, Dyson struck out Yuniesky Betancourt to get the Blue Jays out of the inning.

Before making the Blue Jays’ roster, Dyson had been a member of the New Hampshire Fisher Cats, Toronto’s Double-A affiliate. Dyson started the year with Toronto’s Class A club, the Dunedin Blue Jays. A native of Tampa, Fla., Dyson was selected by Toronto in the fourth round of the 2010 Major League draft. Dyson missed the entire 2011 season after having Tommy John surgery. He began 2012 as a starting pitcher before being moved to the bullpen in June. The 24-year-old had allowed just two runs in 24 innings out of the bullpen for the Fisher Cats before being called up. Blue Jays manager John Farrell said that Dyson might have “the best overall stuff in [Toronto’s] organization.” The former USC hurler is the first member of Toronto’s 2010 draft class to make it to the major leagues. According to the Blue Jays, Dyson will be used as a middle reliever this season. The club will decide at a later date whether Dyson will be used as a starter or relief pitcher in the future.

While Dyson has reached the bigs, several members of South Carolina’s national championship teams are working toward jobs at the major league level. Former center fielder Jackie Bradley, Jr. is currently with the Double-A Portland Sea Dogs, an affiliate of the Boston Red Sox. Blake Cooper is pitching with the High-A Visalia Rawhide, while Evan Marzilli has joined the Low-A Missoula Osprey, both members of the Arizona Diamondbacks’ organization. Former shortstop Bobby Haney is with the High-A San Jose Giants, while Steven Neff is pitching for the Low-A Augusta Green Jackets, both affiliates of San Francisco. Whit Merrifield, whose base hit won USC’s first national championship, is with the High-A Wilmington Blue Rocks, while former third baseman Adrian Morales is with the Low-A Burlington Royals, both affiliates of Kansas City. 2011 College World Series MVP Scott Wingo is a member of the High-A Rancho Cucamonga Quakes, an affiliate of the L.A. Dodgers. John Taylor is pitching for the Low-A Clinton LumberKings as a member of the Seattle Mariners’ organization. Matt Price is with the Gulf Coast Orioles, while Christian Walker is a member of the Aberdeen IronBirds, both Low-A affiliates of Baltimore. Adam Matthews is with the Low-A Billings Mustangs as a member of the Cincinnati Reds’ organization, and Michael Roth is pitching for the Low-A Orem Owlz after signing with the Angels.