Soccer seeks first win against Mercer

Gamecocks open 7-game homestand after overtime loss

"It came down to us being physically tired through two overtime matches, and unfortunately worn down to not do the things we should do to keep teams off the scoreboard," coach Shelley Smith said. "We learned that we will fight to the end ... This team is going to come together through the fall and get better every week."

The Gamecocks entered the season ranked No. 24 in the nation and were picked to finish second in the SEC in a preseason coaches' poll.

"I think it's an honor to be that respected," Smith said. "I think we've earned that respect across the country and in our conference. We don't pay attention — the ranking that's most important is at the end of the season, so that's what we work towards. But we also feel good going into the season knowing that we have won that respect."

USC has played without Sabrina D'Angelo, as the sophomore goalkeeper is competing for Canada in the U-20 World Cup. D'Angelo was named to the preseason all-SEC team by College Sports Madness after notching 75 saves last season, holding opponents scoreless four times.

"A player of [D'Angelo's] caliber is always going to be something you miss," Smith said. "She's a leader and had an amazing impact on the field last year as a freshman. We're missing a piece, but we also have players that are ready to step in.

Senior Darien Vercillo has stepped up to lead the Gamecocks from the goal during D'Angelo's absence.

"Darien has come in the first two games and played very well, made some great saves to try to keep us in games," Smith said. "That's what a team is. You have players behind you and the opportunity to step in and meet the challenge and help us succeed."

Offensively, USC is looking to find a rhythm after losing graduates Kayla Grimsley and Kortney Rhoades. Grimsley led the team with 10 goals last season.

"Last year, early in the season, there were times where we struggled to find the net, even with tremendous goal-scorers like Kayla and Kortney," Smith said. "It's the same thing this year, where we're figuring out how we're going to be more dangerous, how we're going to break down our opponent. We're waiting to see who's going to step up and find the net. We have potential scorers in Danielle Au, Coryn Bajema, Gabrielle Gilbert and Courtney Angotti-Smith, who's a freshman.

"There are a lot of weapons that we have, we just have to make sure we're connecting on our offensive third and taking advantage of our opportunities."

Mercer is a member of the Atlantic Sun Conference, and the Bears come to South Carolina after recording their first win of the season against Southern Alabama on Sunday. Thursday's game kicks off at 7 p.m.

"We know they'll be ready to play," Smith said. "We have a target on our backs, being SEC champions the past year and going into the season ranked ... Opponents will come here wanting to prove something and knock us off. We need to match that intensity and make sure we play our game and take care of business at home."