Vercillo consistent as keeper for Gamecocks

Senior shines in temporarily replacing sophomore D’Angelo

Darien Vercillo walked off the field Sunday with one ice pack on her ankle and another on her thigh. The senior goalkeeper, who will graduate in December, injured herself during the soccer team’s preseason match against Duke. But since then, she hasn’t missed a beat.

In Sunday’s match against Jacksonville, Vercillo recorded her third shutout of the season. There are four keepers on South Carolina’s roster, but Vercillo has been the team’s No. 1 while sophomore Sabrina D’Angelo competes for the Canadian national team at the U-20 World Cup.

“All our goalkeepers are training hard and pushing each other,” said coach Shelley Smith. “It’s something that we needed out of them in Sabrina’s absence, but they’re capable goalkeepers, and it’s been nice to see us be able to handle the pressure we’ve faced without Sabrina here. That’s what you expect out of a senior goalkeeper.”

Vercillo was on the team during her freshman and sophomore seasons but did not play until the 2011 season. She earned the first start of her career against UNC Wilmington after D’Angelo was injured in USC’s matchup with Clemson.

“You have to be ready at all times,” Vercillo said. “Regardless of who’s on the field, anyone could get hurt anytime. You have to have the mindset that you can go in no matter what. Having that mindset has helped me play this year.”

While the senior has enjoyed her additional playing time, she is looking forward to D’Angelo’s return later this month.

“You work hard every single year, and you work to play,” Vercillo said. “That’s the ultimate goal. There’s such a healthy competition between me and every single keeper on this team. It’s amazing to play, but I’m also ready for [D’Angelo] to come back.”

Asked what her role on the team will be once D’Angelo returns, Vercillo never used the word backup.

“I think my role on the team is going to be exactly the same as it is now — to do my absolute best,” she said. “I think everyone’s goal is to do their best, and from that point the coaches can choose who they play. If it’s her, that’s great. If it’s me, that’s great. It just depends on the day and who’s ready.”

Vercillo credited the team’s coaches with implementing a system that has enabled USC to hold opponents to just two goals in four regular-season games.

“We have a very strong defensive system, and [associate head coach Jamie Smith] teaches us a lot of things,” Vercillo said. “Listening to everything that Jamie has to offer has been our biggest strength because he knows what he’s talking about, and I think we execute it very well.”

Vercillo is a psychology student, but upon graduation she will remain in Columbia working on an internship in design. During her last season as a Gamecock, she will look to anchor the defense and continue her scoreless streak.

“My ultimate goal was just to keep shutouts. That’s every keeper’s goal. If I can keep all shutouts until Sabrina gets here, I’m doing my job.”