Carolinas set stage for big names

Columbia, Charlotte to host artists such as Grace Potter, Needtobreathe this month

Read More

It’s hit that time in the semester, when classes become real commitments. There are tests and papers and group projects, and really only one thing to beat the stress: a good concert. Between the capital city and Charlotte (just an hour-and-a-half-long drive), there is an impressive sampling of artists lined up for the next month. Whether country’s your thing, or you’re looking for a sweet serenade from Miss Fiona Apple, there’s a show suited for your school work escape.

Passion Pit — The Fillmore, Charlotte (Wednesday, Sept. 19)

The Massachusetts-born electropop band is stopping in Charlotte. And everything is going to the beat. Wool cardigans, lace-up oxfords and thick-brimmed glasses offer the five-piece sophomores to the music scene a polished, indie look — but their music speaks so much louder. Songs like “Sleepyhead” and “Little Secrets” from their first album, 2009’s “Manners,” put the alterna-popstars on the map. Their second album, “Gossamer,” hit shelves July 20, with “Constant Conversations” serving as the stand-out single. The show starts at 8 p.m. and general admission tickets are $33.

All-American Rejects — Amos’ Southend, Charlotte (Tuesday, Sept. 25)

Aren’t they still your dirty little secret? The All-American Rejects, fronted by greasy and disheveled, but still adorable, Tyson Ritter, held their place in the alternative rock light of fame. Their discography has been scattered, with their first official album coming in 2002, a decade after their formation — a self-titled disc that included “My Paper Heart” and “Swing, Swing.” Their second two, in 2005 and 2008, housed “Dirty Little Secret,” “Move Along” and “Gives You Hell,” just a few of their tongue-in-cheek, but nonetheless charged and sometimes bitter, hits. “Kids in the Street,” which came out in March, has brought the Rejects back with singles like “Walk Over Me” that win us over with those same lyrics and sound. The show starts at 7 p.m. and general admission tickets are $23.50.

Fiona Apple — The Fillmore, Charlotte (Wednesday, Sept. 26)

Apple’s music is emotional, raw and real. It’s driven by the rough stuff, with her vocals and time behind the piano adding a certain sensitivity. Although she may be known best for her Grammy-winning single “Criminal,” her latest album “The Idler Wheel...” continues the complex look into Miss Apple’s beautiful darkness. The show starts at 8 p.m. and general admission tickets are $43.

Needtobreathe — Township Auditorium, Columbia (Wednesday, Sept. 26)

The Christian charts-turned-mainstream Seneca—raised brothers of Needtobreathe are no longer outsiders to the world of 20-something Southern rock. Bear and Bo Rinehart, who play with bassist Seth Bolt, have grown from early tracks like “Shine On” and “Washed by the Water” to “Keep Your Eyes Open” and “White Fences,” all equally charming and refreshing. The South Carolina boys have built their career on their pure talent and rooted personalities. Their Columbia show will be a part of their 2012 “The Reckoning” tour, and Parachute and Drew Holcomb will open. Tickets start at $33.20 for balcony seats. The show starts at 7:30 p.m.

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals — Time Warner Cable Uptown Amphitheatre, Charlotte (Friday, Oct. 5)

She first hit it big as the leading lady from Vermont, unpolished and untamed. “Paris (Ooh La La)” became the undiscovered track that struck gold. Now, she’s expanded her name, touring with Kenny Chesney after recording “You and Tequila” with the country star. The band’s latest, June’s “The Lion The Beast The Beat” marries the unpolished and the refined for a roots rock beat that showcases the songstress’s unmatched vocals. See: “Stars.” The show stars at 8 p.m. and general admission tickets are $35.

South Carolina State Fair — State Fairgrounds, Columbia (Wednesday, Oct. 10 - Sunday, Oct. 21)

The State Fair has always blessed the city with a mismatched lineup of the core genres. They manage to pull a throwback band, a country act and at least one group that’s shown some kind of promise on the “hits” charts. This year, I’m impressed. In the 12-day span of elephant ears, fried Oreos and Krispy Kreme hamburgers (because let’s be real, you go for the food) there are eight headline names taking the Pepsi Grandstand stage: Thompson Square, Hot Chelle Rae, O.A.R., Boyz II Men, Newsboys, Doobie Brothers, Jake Owen and the Eli Young Band. Online ticket sales have already begun for each of the shows, with tickets ranging from $15 to $25. To purchase tickets, visit scstatefair.org.