‘Get Cocky!’ puts school spirit on display

McKissick Museum exhibit chronicles athletic history Read More

As coach Steve Spurrier prepares the USC football team for kickoff this week, fans are packing up their bags, planning viewing parties, painting their faces and donning their favorite Gamecock garb. There doesn't seem to be a lack of support for our alma mater anywhere, especially at the McKissick Museum.

The museum's latest exhibit, "Get Cocky! The Significance of USC's Gamecock Culture," chronicles the history of Gamecock athletics and shows the profound positive impact sports and school spirit have had on the Carolina community.

"Get Cocky!" features objects from the museum's permanent collection ranging from 1904 to the present. The comprehensive collection includes items from some of USC's very first sporting events as well as recent victories, including the baseball team's back-to-back wins at the College World Series. From authentic clothing and antique uniforms to ticket stubs and autographed balls, the exhibit is sure to spark the interests of casual fans and sports fanatics alike.

The exhibit begins in the second-floor hallway leading to the gallery. It includes information about the history of college athletics, which began in the 19th century with the start of intramural sports. Visitors can view a sterling silver football trophy from 1904 as well as a 1904 game ball won in a competition between USC and Washington and Lee University. A glass display case in the hallway also holds a sweater, canvas pants and belt that made up a 1907 Carolina football uniform.

"Get Cocky!" covers a variety of topics, but the origin story of the Carolina-Clemson rivalry is particularly interesting. The two universities began playing football against each other on Nov. 12, 1896, the first "Big Thursday." The games were held at the State Fairgrounds in Columbia and was such a popular draw that counterfeit tickets became a problem. Big Thursdays lasted until 1959 when Clemson decided it would benefit from hosting the game every other year.

Clothing plays a big part in the exhibit. Highlights include a Gamecock cap worn by former President Ronald Reagan during his 1983 visit to campus; two beanies, called "Rat Caps," that first-year students were required to wear at sporting events until 1973; and homecoming outfits worn by Anna Gray in 1964 and Elizabeth Loadholt in 1989, a mother–daughter pair who both served as homecoming queen while attending Carolina.

The exhibit includes a segment on the transformation of USC's mascot, featuring a costume by Jerry Spann, head cheerleader in 1959 who volunteered to dress up and play the part. The getup consisted of a garnet freshman cap with a yellow rubber glove attached to the top serving as a comb, a feather duster tail and yellow spats over track shoes and a simple black jacket and gray pants.

John Nelson, a current USC biology professor and an alumnus of the university, donned a homemade rooster costume at basketball games from 1971 to 1973. The elaborate outfit consists of a mask with a yellow cardboard beak and a jumpsuit decked out with garnet and black feathers.

Other highlights of "Get Cocky!" include a 1935 marching band uniform, photographs of a 1940s Tiger Burn, a 1907 ball from a baseball game between USC and Clemson (Carolina won 4-2) and balls signed by Lou Holtz and Dawn Staley. The exhibit also shares stories of outstanding fans and philanthropic efforts taken on by various teams. It also features video interviews with former athletes like George Rogers and current USC President Harris Pastides.

The McKissick Museum has put together a vibrant exhibit filled with rare items fans can't view anywhere else and is a must-see for Gamecock fans of all ages.

"Get Cocky!" is on display through Dec. 14. Admission to McKissick is free, and the museum is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.