Regardless of personal views, go out and vote

Youth involvement especially important Read More

No matter which side you lean towards, there's only one "real" way to get your opinions heard, and that's to vote.

The 2012 election is momentous for so many reasons. On Nov. 6th, U.S. citizens will elect 13 governors, 33 senators, 435 representatives and one president. This election year also marks the first time in which many here at Carolina are eligible to vote in a general election.
Voting for a particular candidate not only indicates your stance on divisive issues like same-sex marriage, but on other major issues like the economy. Recently, during a speech at the University of Virginia, President Obama told students, "Don't boo. Vote!" If you have an opinion on something, voting presents a golden opportunity to have your voice heard. While not all of these issues will affect you now, your vote will ultimately influence the political atmosphere for years to come.

The youth vote is even more important because we typically are the leaders and on the forefront of most major cultural and political movements, from civil rights to anti-war protests. It was the youth of the late '60s who successfully lobbied to lower the voting age from 21 to 18. It is the youth of America who continue to lobby for various LGBT rights, numerous environmental causes and who were a crucial component in electing the first African-American president of the United States.

It's still not too late for you to register to vote. Be sure to check on your own state's website to learn how they handle voter registration.