Student arrests, violence go too far

The flurry of arrests, violence and drunken stupidity that have shaken the USC campus over the past week necessitates a response from The Daily Gamecock. Read More

We feel that the line between fun and socially harmful behavior, has been crossed over and over again since the fall semester resumed, in magnitudes that triumph recent outbreaks of poor judgment.
This is not to say students shouldn't have fun. On the contrary, fun is part of what college and its road to self-discovery are all about. The recent campus area police reports, however, illustrate a disturbing trend for which "having fun" doesn't suffice to describe. A fight at the Woodlands between two USC students ended in gunshots. At the same apartment complex, an officer was forced to fire on an automobile attempting to run him over. A woman tried to push an officer into a pool. Not to mention the infamous chicken fight video that went viral.

This rash of unnecessary behavior can't simply be chalked up to "stuff happens in college, get used to it." No, recent behavior probes deeper, and must be taken more seriously, especially with football season coming up and all of the partying that comes with it. Not only can alcohol abuse result in embarrassing or harmful behavior, but those caught drinking underage on campus also face increased student conduct fines. Consider taking advantage of opportunities provided by the university, such as the tailgate for the Vanderbilt football game held in Russell House today, that offer an alleyway for fun in a safe environment. We encourage the student body to celebrate, but do so in a way that doesn't jeopardize your safety, or those around you.