Voter registration necessary in 2012

Election carries major significance for students

Politics is an endlessly debated subject upon which most people will always remain divided. One point that neither side can argue, however, is the importance of people educating themselves and becoming involved. Upon turning 18, we are given the right to vote and have our voice heard, yet many young people do not take action. With such an important presidential election occurring this year, there is no better time than the present for young people to register. 

In the past few weeks I have been surprised to discover that many of my peers, whom I would view as considerably politically informed, are not registered to vote. This is a very common occurrence among college students who are mislead by the idea that registering to vote is a complicated process. This is far from the truth, as a short visit to your local town hall to fill out a few forms is all it takes. In fact, the university even hands out forms to students so we are required to put forth even less effort.  For out of state students who would prefer to vote as a member of their home state, an absentee form is available. This form allows voters to determine their political party and send in their vote to be counted among those of their state of residency. This process does not cost people anything except a small portion of their time and the benefits from doing so are overwhelming. 

As young adults, we are transitioning between being reliant on our parents and becoming fully independent. It is essential during this time to educate ourselves on the responsibility that accompanies this growing independence. The winner of this year’s presidential election will have a profound impact on our generation as we prepare to live on our own and enter the working world. The candidates each hold contrasting views on several issues that will greatly determine our everyday living standards in areas such as gas prices, tuition and health care. A great portion of college students face an incredible amount of student loans upon graduation. The rising cost of tuition and mounting student loans is an issue that pertains to our generation specifically, and the candidates have different approaches as to help us manage these expenses. Political issues such as outsourcing of jobs will be determined differently depending on who holds office and this will greatly affect the accessibility of jobs post-graduation. 

A portion of our generation is naïve as to the substantial effects that this election holds for our future. It is as simple as watching the news or doing some research online to get informed on issues that will determine our future. The university should continue to encourage its students to register and vote this coming November. Every vote counts and when given this right to let our voice be heard, every person should take advantage of it.