Affirmative action no longer relevant

Minority law only serves to limit societal progress

The case of Fisher v. University of Texas, which the Supreme Court heard on Oct. 10, brings up an important issue over race and how diversity should be handled in school. The case challenges a law that allows race to influence admissions decisions at universities around the country. This rule is meant to encourage diversity. However, continuing to allow people to be judged by their race or heritage, whether it be for good or bad, is stifling to our society.

In 2008, two female students applied to the University of Texas and were denied admission. The suit was filed because they both felt they had been discriminated against based on race. The two students, both white, were placed into a pool of applicants that were qualified based on many different criteria, such as leadership, community service and academics but also based on race.

The idea behind this process is that it will allow minorities equal opportunity to enter college. But what exactly is a minority today? In the 1970s, it was women and African Americans. Soon after, this title of “minority” was extended to Hispanics and Asians. Now, there are more than ten “minorities” to choose from on a school form. At this point, the minorities are on the verge of overcoming the so-called “majorities.”
By allowing this law to stay in effect, we are limiting our society’s progress. As a minority myself, I do not want to know that I got accepted to a college or became entitled to a major benefit or even got a free soda because of the color of my skin. Minorities should be judged on their accomplishments and their talents. The idea of equality should mean that everyone receives equal treatment and not that those who could possibly be minorities should get extra help along the way.

The minority law also allows universities to ensure that they have an equal representation of all types of students in their incoming classes and that they have diversity in their student body. But as much good as this law has endeavored to do, it only gives the appearance of universities trying to snatch up minorities like missing pieces in a puzzle. Students with outstanding qualifications should not be overlooked because there are too many white people or Hispanic people already in the incoming class.

In the 21st century, issues of race shouldn’t be issues anymore. A law giving universities power to evaluate applicants by race needs to change so this generation can evolve from the last generation. Maybe the law was not a bad law back when it was necessary to promote the role of minorities in society. However, that time has passed, and in order for us to continue forward, this law needs to change.