GameDay behavior represents USC well

This past Saturday was a triumph for Gamecocks all around. Beginning with an exciting ESPN GameDay broadcast on the Horseshoe and ending with a victory that has boosted our football team to third in the nation, USC has come out of this weekend with a great deal to be proud of.

The Williams-Brice Stadium was sold out completely — 85,199 attended— as fans from all over the nation came to show support. Throughout the past week, our students were on fire with enthusiasm, and it only grew in the stands Saturday night. Gamecock fans were so deafeningly loud, in fact, that Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray was forced to tap the center’s leg to hike the ball, allowing USC’s defense to jump the snap all night and almost shut out an offense that had been regularly averaging 40 points a week on the scoreboard.

But even though it deserves ample credit, this past weekend was more than just a triumph of our football team. It was also a triumph for our community. With the increased number of cops patrolling Five Points and Columbia in general, celebrations remained well-controlled. No significant violent incidents occurred. Only 41 arrests were made in Five Points Saturday night. Given the multitude of people making merry, that’s a tiny percentage and a huge accomplishment.

In our editorial a week ago, we said this weekend was our chance to shine. And shine we did — on national television — on the Horseshoe, at Williams-Brice and then downtown afterward.

Our true Gamecock spirit was on display when it counted, and for that, we commend all of USC.