Marijuana legalization beneficial

Three trailblazing states vote on recreational use

The endless debate of whether we should legalize the recreational use of marijuana has been reopened by the states of Colorado, Washington and Oregon by adding the vote to the ballots this year. Seventeen states have already approved the medical use of marijuana, and 15 states have decriminalized the personal possession of the drug. Now that allowing recreational use is being considered, a great divide is being formed between those who are for and against legalization. However, the pro-legalization vote seems to be gaining more backing due to the vast arguments that can be made in support of the law. One concern that is posed is that the drugs can be harmful to the user. This alone, however, is not a legitimate reason to hinder the freedom of the user to use these drugs. If this were the case, fast food restaurants, bars and other companies would be put out of business because they have the capacity to be harmful to the health of their consumers. The potential to be beneficial to the health of users is even more of a reason to be in support of legalization because marijuana can provide relief for less serious diagnoses, such as migraine headaches, as well as patients suffering from more serious illnesses such as AIDS or cancer.

Another major benefit to legalizing the recreational use of marijuana can be seen from a financial standpoint. The taxation of marijuana would become possible and this in turn would be redistributing money into the economy rather than keeping it in underground operations and in the pockets of drug dealers. Also, drug dealers would lose their clientele to businesses where use and distribution of the drug could be easily regulated. Many supporters argue that the punishment for using should not be more severe than the use itself. Legalizing marijuana would potentially decrease the involvement in other crimes such as theft and robbery which are often a result of users desperate attempts to collect the money needed to meet the price demands of drug dealers.

The opponents of legalization have voiced that they feel passing such a law could taint the reputation of their state. However, with at least 50 percent national support of the legalization of marijuana, this opinion has no basis in reality. If anything, legalization would only encourage more tourism to these areas which would in turn bring more money into the local economy. These states would also most likely inspire other states to follow in their lead, and they could be accredited with being the first states to pass this motion in our nation. The legalization of marijuana would lead to an overall boost in economy and, more importantly, a safer and more regulated use of a drug that people are going to use regardless of the law.