Overlooked GameDay efforts deserve praise

When you and your friends are out on the Horseshoe this weekend, chances are you won’t be thinking of all the behind-the-scenes effort that went into making College GameDay possible.

You probably won’t thank people like Kate Creveling, the Residence Life coordinator for the Horseshoe, for all her hard work when you see her on campus. The same goes for Kim McMahon, the director of the Russell House, Jerry Brewer, the associate vice president for Student Affairs, and Melissa Gentry, the director of communications and events for the Department of Student Life. Not to mention all of the student volunteers and extra security that will sacrifice hours of their free time to make sure GameDay goes as smoothly as possible.

When USC was announced last Saturday as the site of College GameDay for the following week, the overwhelming majority of campus was overjoyed. Some were celebrating a little less, though, knowing how much their workload was about to increase this week. Many of those individuals, from the administration to the custodial staffs, will receive little or no thanks. There is no better way to show them we appreciate their hard work than by taking advantage of the national spotlight to showcase our beautiful university, and our passionate, football-crazed student body.

On a more serious note, Student Life has released a list of guidelines for Horseshoe-goers this weekend. Among them, “students are expected to demonstrate extreme excitement when ‘Sandstorm’ is played at all times of the day or night.” Be advised: we hear this policy in particular will be strictly enforced.