Puerto Rican statehood vote deserves notice

Potential 51st state an important election issue

On Nov. 6, Americans will make a decision as to the new Presidential administration for the next four years. While this and numerous other items on the ballot that day are of the utmost importance, one issue that might be somewhat ignored takes place a little bit south of the United States border. On that same day, Puerto Ricans vote on becoming the 51st state of America.

While Puerto Ricans currently have American citizenship, the island is a U.S. territory and thus does not have voting representation in Congress. The vote will not immediately make Puerto Rico an American state if the initiative passes, but it will set in motion efforts for the island to lobby Congress to do so.

Puerto Rico would certainly bring an interesting dynamic to the American political climate, especially as its citizens are highly involved in the electoral process. In the past, more than 80 percent of eligible voters in the territory voted compared with less than 40 percent in South Carolina. Also, it could possibly bring more conservative Hispanic voices into American politics. The governor of Puerto Rico, Luis Fortuno, spoke at the Republican National Convention and his wife, Luce Vela, introduced Ann Romney there as well.

Future American flag designs have already been floating around the internet that add a 51st star for the newest possible state. Though it is too soon to be debating the new design, the vote certainly deserves attention.