‘Honey Boo Boo’ is a national embarrassment

Americans should focus on upcoming election

The weekly, 30-minute episodes of “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo” follow the lives of a McIntyre, Ga. family. As a spin-off from Toddlers in Tiaras, this TLC reality show makes me flip the channel faster than you can say “beautimous.”

Priorities are the outline for our lives. They control our routines, dictate our thoughts and ultimately help us make decisions. The fact that this show boasts 2.3 million viewers leads me to the question the priorities of America. Honey drew in more Americans than the Republican National Convention, in all individual cable and network broadcasts on Aug. 10. I can’t help but wonder if I’m the only one who is embarrassed by not only the presence of this show but the success of it.

And now, we’re in for more of the Thompson family — Mama, Sugar Bear, Pumpkin, Chubbs, Chickadee, Honey Boo Boo and Glitzy the pig. TLC has announced not only the renewal of the show for another season, but also three holiday specials. So after your costumes are perfected for Halloween night, your stomachs are stuffed with turkey and all the presents have been opened on Christmas morning, you can start a new tradition: Turn on Honey Boo Boo.

With an upcoming election that will define the next steps in America, our citizens are more concerned with how a family of “redneckin,” beauty pageant contestants spend their time. It’s disappointing and disconcerting.

People, put down your remotes or at least change the channel. We have a president to elect, not a toddler to crown.