Blood donations crucial during holiday season

Carolina/Clemson drive helps nation

The 28th annual Carolina/Clemson Blood drive, which kicked off on Nov. 12, will be held through Friday on both campuses, stimulating competition between students, faculty, staff and alumni of both schools.

The deep-rooted rivalry between Carolina and Clemson often turns vehement, leaving a sour taste in both parties’ mouths. However, the annual blood drive is a prudent way of encouraging a good cause while still promoting a healthy competition. The need for blood is vast, as more than 44,000 blood donations are needed every day, with someone in the U.S. needing blood every two seconds, according to the American Red Cross.

After 27 years of competition, the universities have collectively accumulated more than 90,000 units of blood, according to an American Red Cross news release. The drive, which is held before the Carolina/Clemson football game, simultaneously begins at the start of the holiday season, a time when the blood supply typically weakens.

The winning team will be presented with the annual Blood Drive Trophy at the Nov. 24 game between USC and Clemson, held this year at the Clemson Memorial Stadium. The annual drive is the largest collegiate blood drive in the country, signifying both schools’ fervency as rivals and as donors. Though the football game is likely to be plagued with heated name-calling and frustration, the drive is a positive way of shedding a positive light on the Carolina/Clemson rivalry.