Break Science to bring ‘big, sweaty dance party’ to 5 Points Pub

Break Science, Michal Menert, Mux Mool to play 5 Points Pub

Tonight, 5 Points Pub will transform into a dance hall as Brooklyn-based electronic duo Break Science brings its “Twilight Frequency” tour to the Midlands. The group, which consists of drummer Adam Deitch and keyboard player/“laptop provider” Borahm Lee, has been making music together for around seven years. Prior to founding Break Science, the guys produced and performed with a variety of well-known artists, including the Fugees, Wu-Tang Clan and Lauryn Hill. The pair is touring to promote its latest EP “Twilight Frequency.” The 5-song collection will be released this week and available for free on prettylightsmusic.com. As individuals, the pair’s musical journey began when they were both very young.
“I’ve been a musician since I was 2 years old,” Deitch said. “Borahm has been playing since 3, 4 years old. He has a vast knowledge of music as a whole. His mother was an opera singer. We both come from musical families.”
The duo’s name is derived from the actual art of making electronic music.
“Break Science comes from ‘breaks,’ meaning drum beats, and ‘science,’ meaning the manipulation of those beats,” Deitch said.
While many electronic acts on the scene tend to sample existing tracks and don’t record their own music, Break Science is different.
“We’re the only group on Pretty Lights Music that doesn’t sample,” Deitch said.
Instead, Break Science writes and records original material and enlists the help of friends to create a larger sound. The recorded material is then scratched and mixed and programmed for the live show to accompany Deitch and Lee’s live instrumental performance.
Break Science is influenced by a wide range of artists across genres.
“We get our inspiration from everything from John Coltrane to DJ Shadow to rjd2 to Earth, Wind and Fire,” Deitch said.
Deitch said working as a duo allows for a greater realization of each artist’s individual vision.
“We have the ability to make each other’s ideas better,” Deitch said. “It’s consistent collaboration that makes our music better. It takes a little pressure off each other ... Our ideas become bigger than ourselves.”
Deitch said that electronic music’s rising popularity has given individuals a chance to create larger sounds.
“Electronic music has allowed smaller groups to exist and have a giant sound,” Deitch said, noting that string quartets and choirs are present in the programmed elements of the group’s live shows.
While Break Science doesn’t have a favorite demographic to play for, Deitch said playing for large crowds is the best.
“We love packed houses,” he said.
Break Science promises to bring a high-energy show to Columbia.
“It’ll be a big, sweaty dance party,” Deitch said. “We want everyone to come ready to dance and ready to party.”
Break Science will be joined by Michal Menert and Mux Mool at tonight’s show. Doors open at 9 p.m. for the 10 p.m. show. Tickets are $12. 5 Points Pub is located at 2020 Devine St.