'Dream Act' passing represents important step

Maryland's education law example for nation

In today’s modern economy, education makes a difference. It could help decide whether or not you’ll have a child out of wedlock or get married, and it can be the difference in hundreds of thousands of dollars in a person’s salary, according to an analysis by Child Trends, a Washington research group. It’s for these reasons,and more, that I cried tears of joy when I found out that my home state of Maryland was the first in the nation to ratify part of what has been collectively known as the “Dream Acts.”

The Dream Acts are basically pieces of legislation that intend to help young undocumented immigrants receive higher education. Maryland’s version of the Dream Act — which was approved by voters this past election — grants in-state tuition rates to undocumented immigrants, provided they’ve met certain conditions such as having attended public school for at least three years or registered for the draft. 

While this may seem alarming to some, it shouldn’t be. This act was designed to help children who were brought to the United States by their parents at a young age. They aren’t criminals, and they shouldn’t be liable for their parents’ actions. By providing this tuition benefit, Maryland has established itself as a state that respects all of it’s residents rights, even those who weren’t lucky enough to be born here.. Every child deserves to have a quality education, especially a higher education if they wish. Hopefully other states will follow suit.