International Education Week promotes diversity

Events aim to encourage students to study abroad

Although International Education Week has been held and celebrated for about 12 years in more than 100 countries nationwide, Noella Niati is fairly new to it.

Niati, an international student advisor, is the coordinator for this week’s International Education Week at USC.

So far, the week has included events like ice cream socials, which highlighted new programs, and a grants workshop.

Niati has hoped to promote the series of events through campus listservs, banners and flyers, she wrote in an email response.

The week, according to Niati, aims to help diversify USC’s campus and make students more knowledgeable about the various cultures and ethnicities represented here. It also hopes to encourage them to travel abroad.

“We want our students to be interested in our international students and international affairs in general,” Niati wrote in an email. “As the world becomes more and more interconnected, it is necessary that we understand the worldwide community.”

The events the rest of the week include study abroad workshops and information sessions on how to get scholarships and budget for studying abroad.

Niati also hopes to bring some of the week’s activities to the last home football game against Wofford Saturday with an internationally themed tailgate. Niati said she hopes the event will draw a diverse showing of both international and American students.