‘Nine Inch Nails’ singer sets new omen

Reznor’s How to Destroy Angels builds hopes for full-length success on remastered EP

Trent Reznor, of “Nine Inch Nails” fame, would like you to think that “An_omen EP” is the first album from his new band “how to destroy angels_.” He’d also like you start using that new typography with the little underscore at the end. Basically, he wants a fresh start.

In actuality, “how to destroy angels_,” Trent Reznor’s band with his wife Mariqueen Reznor as lead vocalist and frequent collaborator Atticus Ross as production wizard, released a self titled EP back in 2010. That original EP had some problems, and this EP can be seen as the band’s relaunch before their first full length LP drops in the spring of 2013.

The aforementioned problems with the first “how to destroy angels_” EP were rooted in an identity crisis. Much of the songs from the album sounded like “Nine Inch Nails” tracks, except replace Reznor’s passionate and distinct voice with his wife mumbling forgettable lyrics. Mariqueen’s voice didn’t have the same punch, didn’t have much emotion of any kind, really. Maybe her voice was supposed to sound sexy, but backed by Reznor’s beats, sounding unattractive may have proved to be a greater challenge.

That EP never sounded bad per se, it just lacked direction and confidence.

This is not the case with “An_omen EP.” The group has found itself, and has incorporated a structure inspired by early “Cabaret Voltaire” albums. That is to say, their new sound is made up of complex, elongated melodies wrapped around a beat-driven progression.

The opening track, “Keep It Together” establishes the new sound slowly, wheeling it out in a track oozing with atmosphere. A spasmodic drum machine clacks out a broken beat while a bassy synth grumbles its way up and down the musical scale. Unfinished guitar riffs echo upwards from the depths of an abyss and then back down again. Amid this churning, brooding soundscape, Mariqueen’s frosty voice whispers, “I feel the skin that separates us start to fade/and when I lie on top of you, I’m afraid.”

It’s an odd song to feature as an opener - especially given Nine Inch Nails’ history of kicking off albums with explosive propulsion (“Mr. Self Destruct, “Somewhat Damaged”) - but “Keep It Together” sets the stage for EP, which is anything but predictable.

But none of this is to say that the album is made up of inaccessible sonic landscapes either. Reznor goes to great lengths here to wrench melody from the most unlikely - and often times dissonant - of places. “The Loop Closes” begins with harsh and disjointed instrumentation comprised of shrieking keyboard and clunky percussion. It’s an interesting sound, but certainly unpleasant to digest musically. However, before the listener has time to grow frustrated, the song fills every single nook and cranny of sonic space with danceable synthesizers and a steady, pulsing beat. The result is something which manages a strange balancing act between  density and simple, beat-focused electronica. It’s noisy, experimental complexity meets a pop music sensibility. It’s simultaneously attractive and yet repellant to the ears. Put simply: it’s Reznor doing what he does better than anyone.

There’s a surprising amount of variety within this new style too. The folksy melody of “Ice Age” contrasts with Mariqueen’s disturbing lyrics and a shrill electronic buzzing in an unsettling manner. “On the Wing,” perhaps the standout track of the entire album, plays a long and chaotic synth rhythm over soaring strings and a beautiful, minimalist piano. Though these tracks have Reznor’s fingerprints all over them, they sound like nothing he’s ever done before.

The new EP isn’t perfect though. Reznor still makes a frustrating habit of sneaking his voice into most of the tracks at some point or another. Mariqueen has proven with this EP that she has a strong voice, she need only be allowed to utilize it. Hopefully, on the band’s full LP, Reznor will back down just a bit, saving his voice for upcoming “NIN” projects instead.

“An_omen EP” is an exciting new start for “how to destroy angels_.” It debuts an interesting direction for Reznor’s music, differentiating itself nicely from “NIN” as well as his scores for “The Social Network” and “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.” Most rock musicians, once they reach the ripe old age of 47, would be considered obsolete and creatively depleted. Trent Reznor is instead forming a new band and putting out some of the most creatively rich music of his career. And with a startling frequency (he’s put out over 70 tracks in the last 3 years). Hopefully this is just a taste of what is to come for the tireless Reznor and company.