Rolling Stones break 50 years on rock stage

‘Brown Sugar’ legends celebrate career anniversary with hits album

The Beatles set the rules. 

The Rolling Stones took the rules and blew them completely out of the water. 

In a world where the music scene was already evolving and pushing boundaries, the Rolling Stones became legends, creating a unique sound and attitude that rock bands still look up to today. And they’re still at it.

This year marks the 50th anniversary of the Rolling Stones. The musicians once famous for being young and reckless are now all old enough to receive a pension, but that doesn’t mean they’ve lost their touch. 

In honor of their 50th anniversary, they will be releasing a greatest hits album Nov. 13 entitled “GRRR!”. 

In addition to tried and true tracks such as “Brown Sugar,” “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” and “Start Me Up,” this new release will include two new tracks: “Doom and Gloom” and “One More Shot.” The new recordings mark the first time the Stones have hit the studio since 2005.

The new single “Doom and Gloom” is a no-nonsense rock song, forsaking any gimmicks for Keith Richards’ deep growl on the guitar and the always reliable Charlie Watts on the drums. It’s a surprisingly political cut for a single, but it still manages to work. 

Even as Mick Jagger moans about “fracking deep for oil,” running out of water and eating dirt, all in the same verse, he still succeeds in making it sound like a good party. “Doom and Gloom” may not make the record books like some of the Stones’ hits, but it does go to show fans and critiques alike that they’re not just planning a comeback to make money off the merch booths.

The Rolling Stones are one of the few musical acts that can still command ticket prices with the same constancy as 50 years ago. Their last tour in 2005 sold out, and their London concert this upcoming November sold out completely in seven minutes flat. In an inescapably rocky music economy, the Rolling Stones are as reliable as ever.

Just as their earnings are reliable, so is their music. The distinctive blues rock sound that has become synonymous with the Rolling Stones has never gone missing. The Stones are unmatchable in their ability to rock ‘n’ roll, whereas, the Beatles are most celebrated for their songwriting. This major difference was summed up best when Keith Richards told John Lennon he could “rock but not roll.” 

It’s a strange world when you realize you like the same music your dad did when he was in college, but that’s another thing the Rolling Stones have managed to accomplish. There’s no age limit on their music. Where ’80s disco and even the blues that so greatly influenced the Stones have aged, the music of the Rolling Stones hasn’t yet lost its shine. Their music still has the power to say something, and, as is evident from their new single, they still have a lot more to say. 

Age shouldn’t really matter anyway. Music is music, wherever it comes from. The Rolling Stones will always be the Rolling Stones, and rock will always be rock. In this case, the Rolling Stones still rock, but it’s also obvious they know how to roll, too.