'Use your voice:' Twitter co-founder shares advice, company history

Sagolla says major social network "based off of simplicity"

Twitter co-founder Dom Sagolla had more than 140 characters worth of advice for students Wednesday night.

He spoke for more than an hour on the history and implementation of the social network.

“Twitter was based off of simplicity — it is like a haiku,” Sagolla said at a Carolina Productions event in Russell House Ballroom. The social networking site was created in 2006.

“An idea of a text messaging format was very fresh,” Sagolla said. “What began as a tool for self-expression quickly became the tool for breaking news.”

The social network was developed in less than a month, and creators embraced the idea that less is more.

Sagolla said Twitter went through a long evolution to become what it is today.

“The team had to go over a number of sketches before settling on the right format for Twitter,” he said.
Some early sketches included only a header, a status bar for users to type in information and drop down links of tweets that appeared on a timeline.

Sagolla went on to explain how Twitter can be used effectively in users’ daily lives.

“Cultivate your Twitter feed by following the best innovators. Don’t be afraid to use your voice,” he said. “If you say ‘like,’ tweet that. If you use ‘um,’ then don’t be afraid to throw that in there.”

Sagolla said Twitter is much more than just a website for updating their thoughts; it’s also a major tool for self-expression and networking, especially for those that want to establish their own businesses one day.

While acknowledging that social media can be used to harass others and kvetch about trivial mishaps, Sagolla made the point that students should appreciate the privilege of being able to speak their minds.

“If you’re tempted to complain about your coffee or your mode of travel ... remember why you have this tool,” he said. “Remember that some people don’t have the right of speech at all. There’s nothing to complain about with these tools in your hand.”