In our opinion: Tribune ranking shows drive of USC students

Being ranked 133 on a list isn’t usually something to toot our horns about, but this time, being 133rd is a pretty big deal.

The International Herald Tribune recently compiled a ranking of universities around the world with the “most employable graduates,” and USC made the list as number 133. Out of the hundreds of thousands of universities in the world, 133 isn’t too shabby at all. In fact, USC was one of the only three schools in the SEC that made it on the list, beating both the University of Florida and Vanderbilt. 

As a public university in a state that rarely breaks national news for anything good, we must admit that we are pleasantly surprised. A lot of that credit goes to our Career Center, which used stimulus money to fund student internships during the recession when companies around America weren’t paying interns. Through the years, the Career Center has helped USC build some great corporate relations and looked out for the futures of students. For that, we salute them.

But we also owe a round of applause to our student body, which has shown that we don’t have to be at a highfalutin institution to achieve great things. Sure, we’ve got a great football team, but we’re also a school of ambitious, hard-working people, and our ranking is solid proof of that.

The Career Center is currently looking to improve alumni relations in hopes of reaping more opportunities for students at USC and keeping us better connected, a move that we fully support. Being 133 is commendable, but there’s also room for growth. 

So, let’s keep up the good work USC, and show everyone that while we know how to play hard, we know how to work hard, too.