Simpson's Cinema: Winter Break Films

December proves big month for much-anticipated blockbusters

December looks to be one of the more exciting months for cinema in recent memory. Unfortunately, no Christmas-themed films are coming out, which means you’ll most likely be stuck viewing some of the original ABC Family or Lifetime shtick. Still, plenty of highly anticipated films are coming out that will no doubt make millions upon millions and attract families all across the country. And the best part is, they all look amazing. Here’s what to look out for:

"Les Miserables"

I dreamed a dream of Christmas Day, when “Les Miserables” will blow the box office away. I dreamed the trailer gave audiences chills and ... blah, blah, blah, song reference. But seriously, Victor Hugo’s beloved novel about redemption, unrequited love, passion and broken dreams has been adapted in numerous plays and Broadway musicals, but it’s never before been filmed the way this version has. The movie is already getting buzz as a top Oscar contender because of director Tom Hooper, a star cast and Anne Hathaway’s singing voice. For those who have heard nothing, the movie follows ex-convict Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman) and the people he encounters as he strives to start a new life during the aftermath of the French Revolution.

"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"

That’s right, all you medieval-fantasy nerds. It’s time to abandon your sci-fi conventions and head back to the movie theaters because Peter Jackson’s taking everyone back to Middle-earth. It’s been nine long years since the finale of Jackson’s “Lord of the Rings” trilogy, and fans have been anticipating this film even longer. But before the movie has even journeyed into theaters, it has received its fair share of criticism, due to the studio’s decision to stretch the adaptation into a trilogy instead of the originally planned two-part series. Still, this prequel series to “The “Lord of the Rings” will no doubt offer its own delights and an apparently more lighthearted approach to the fantasy world. Opens Dec. 14.

"Django Unchained"

Quentin Tarantino, probably one of the greatest directors alive, follows up the flawless “Inglorious Basterds”(2009) with homage to spaghetti Westerns. It’s like a Christmas tree with all of the Tarantino trimmings — bloody violence, coarse language, smart dialogue and quirky, over-the-top filmmaking. And that’s pretty much the only way to make a film with this sort of material. It’s the story of Django (Jamie Fox), a slave freed by a white bounty hunter (Christoph Waltz) and given the chance to track down his wife’s (Kerry Washington) eccentric and malicious owner (Leonardo DiCaprio). With Tarantino soon to retire from filmmaking, let’s hope this movie ranks among his best work. Opens Christmas Day.

"Jack Reader"

Since the days of “Die Hard,” holidays just wouldn’t be complete without a hardcore action film (though “Die Hard” may be the only one in a long time to be Christmas-related). And say what you what about Tom Cruise (the Scientology, the Oprah incident, the Katie Holmes divorce), but the guy has definitely evolved from that young “Top Gun” heartthrob into a very capable action star, even at age 50. “Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol” proved that. On Dec. 21, he will be playing the drifter hero of author Lee Child’s novel “One Shot” in the movie adaptation “Jack Reacher.”

"This is 40"

“This Is 40” is basically and literally a sequel to Judd Apatow’s 2007 film “Knocked Up,” which featured a subplot about a married couple, played by Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann, who began to experience the complications that come with marriage. “This Is 40” sets their story five years down the road as they continue through all of the bickering and complications. All I have to say about the movie is that I laughed my, er, face off after just watching the trailer. In typical Apatow style, there will be many humorous R-rated moments as well as inspiration from Apatow’s own life. Opens Dec. 21.

"Monsters, Inc."

In preparation for “Monsters University” next year, Pixar Studios will be rereleasing the 2001 favorite “Monsters, Inc.” in 3-D on Dec. 19 like it did with “Finding Nemo,” which also has sequel on the way. (Hey, I’m serious. Google it.)