Gamecocks hold on, upset No. 5 Kentucky

Senior Ieasia Walker, who had a team-high 16 points and eight rebounds against Kentucky, said it meant a lot to beat the Wildcats after losing the first three meetings against ranked teams of the season.

Walker leads women’s basketball to first defeat of top-5 team since 1998

In its first win of the season against a ranked opponent, and the first against a top-five team since 1998, No. 18 South Carolina upset the No. 5 Kentucky Wildcats, 55-50. USC had played three other ranked teams before Thursday’s matchup with the Wildcats, and is now 17-3 after the upset.

“It was kind of like we were ranked, but we’re not beating the teams that are also good,” said senior guard Ieasia Walker. “It means a lot, especially to beat Kentucky at home because I know it’s going to be a hard one for us at their place.”
Close games against top competition have become common for the Gamecocks. In December, South Carolina lost a disappointing four-point contest to then top-ranked Stanford and fell to No. 13 Georgia, 40-42, earlier in the season.

What the two teams lacked in offensive production on Thursday, they made up for in physicality. While no one sustained any major injuries, both senior Sancheon White and freshman Khadijah Sessions briefly left the court with minor bumps and bruises.

“You have to hit first because we knew we were going to get hit,” said Coach Dawn Staley. “There are always these knock-out, drag-out games with Kentucky because we’re a defensive-minded team.”

Walker led South Carolina in both points (16) and rebounds (eight) and played the entire 40 minutes of the contest. She was followed by sophomore Aleighsa Welch with 11 points and seven rebounds.

Defense was key for the Gamecocks. Kentucky came into the game averaging 79.3 points per game, and the 50 points allowed by USC was the second lowest total of the season for the Wildcats.

“I didn’t think it was going to be a game in which it would be in the 70s or 80s because we can’t score that much,” said Staley. “And if they’re scoring 80 points they’re blowing us out, but I thought it was an effort in which we got contributions from everybody.”

Redshirt sophomore Jennifer O’Neill led the way for Kentucky with 17 points and four three-pointers. Junior DeNesha Stallworth registered a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds. It was a relatively quiet night for Kentucky’s leading scorer, senior A’dia Mathies, who made just four of 14 shots from the field.

“We just wanted to make it hard for (Mathies) every time she caught the ball,” said Walker. “I think she got a little bit frustrated there after a while seeing a different type of defense on her.”

Kentucky coach Matthew Mitchell bestowed all credit to South Carolina for the win, citing a desire to win and a physical style of play as the Gamecocks’ keys for victory.

The excitement on the Gamecocks’ home court at the prospect of beating a top-ten opponent was visible from start to finish. Due to the crowd noise, Staley struggled to relay instruction to her team on the floor.

“I’m happy to see that their hard work and what they put into it really paid off,” Staley said. “And I’ll say this; we don’t win this game if we’re not in Colonial Life Arena.”