New ‘tweet seat’ idea win-win for everyone

Filmgoers can connect without being disruptive

We live in a society of instantaneous communication. We obsess over social media outlets, from Twitter to text messages, so much that it has become nearly impossible for some people to function without technology for a moment, let alone through an entire movie. Since the request to “please turn off your cell phones” is blatantly ignored, some theaters have reached a brilliant solution of accommodating patrons with “tweet seats.”

Now smartphone addicts have the option of sitting in a designated area where they are allowed to live tweet about the film. The concept is for people to actively pay attention to the film, engage in an online discussion and promote the film. The idea is being tested at the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Palm Beach Opera in Florida and the Public Theater in New York.

Some actors and directors criticize the idea, which they find disrespectful to the film industry. While that may be true, some are taking the experiment a step further, like theater chain Cinemark with their new smartphone app “CineMode.” Once downloaded, the app will automatically turn your phone on to vibrate, dim your background screen and offer rewards to users.

The “tweet seat” phenomenon is a great idea. Because it has become a habit for us to check our phones whether we’re in class, walking, with friends or even driving, it makes sense that movie theaters would try an experiment like this. People in some theaters can now enjoy the latest film, stay connected and avoid glares from people sitting around them.