‘Silver Linings’ finds comedy in dark drama

Cooper, Lawrence use on-screen chemistry to tackle real issues

Combining such aspects as ballroom dancing, mental illness, romance and the Philadelphia Eagles in a movie normally results in a lack of balance and an offbeat stew of overstuffed plot points.

So much could have gone wrong with “Silver Linings Playbook,” based on Matthew Quick’s novel of the same name, that acclaim should be given to director-screenwriter David O. Russell (“The Fighter”) for finding and maintaining a delicate balance.

“Silver Linings Playbook” takes similar themes from “The Fighter,” focusing on people dealing with their personal problems — except with dancing and mental illness that act as catalysts for romance. This is a romantic comedy that actually has a heart, questioning our society’s stiff definition of sane.

Bradley Cooper — yes, the guy from “The Hangover” — plays Pat Solitano, recently released from a mental hospital and into the care of his parents, Pat Sr. and Dolores (Robert De Niro and Jacki Weaver). Pat suffers from bipolar disorder, diagnosed after almost beating a man he caught in the shower with his wife, Nikki (Brea Bee), to death. Now he’s on medication and strives to look for his silver lining with an optimistic outlook, even though the restraining order she filed makes this unlikely.

At dinner with friends, Pat meets the equally-messed-up Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence), a recent widow who’s been binging on one-night stands to pull through her husband’s death. Pat and Tiffany form an unusual bond through their shared neuroses, and Tiffany agrees to pass along a letter to his ex-wife as long as Pat partners with her in a dance competition.

There’s still more going on, mostly involving Pat Sr.’s constant gambling and his love for the Philadelphia Eagles. He resorts to bookmaking during every game to make money and wagers that Pat and Tiffany will score at least a five at the dance competition. At the same time, he’s completely oblivious to how his own compulsive habits might be a contributing factor to his son’s problems.

Russell definitely had his work cut out for him with a screenplay that’s just as bipolar as these characters. The movie often veers from devastating drama to screwball comedy, sometimes within the same scene. Yet, somehow Russell manages to make it all work by grounding everything.

The narrative is more substantial and humor more organic than what we’d expect from a romantic comedy, which are usually just a series of out-of-place jokes.

The chemistry between Cooper and Lawrence is the film’s high point. From the very first, uncensored conversation about the impact of psychotropic drugs, Pat and Tiffany immediately crackle with energy.

Cooper simultaneously gives the most dramatic and comedic performance of his career (yes, even funnier than “The Hangover”). The aching in Cooper’s eyes comes from much more than pining for his ex-wife; he’s in desperate need of control of his life.

Lawrence continues to show why she’s the most promising of a new generation of actors. She’s playing a character years beyond her age, but you can still feel the hurt and buoyancy that Tiffany bears. She’s foul, dirty-minded, hilarious, sexy, vulnerable and vivacious, sometimes all at the same time.

De Niro, who finally seems to be in a comedy and not be reduced to caricature, reminds us once again why he was considered one of the greatest actors of a generation — before “Rocky and Bullwinkle” and “Little Fockers” turned him into a laughingstock. He brings both warmth and intelligence to his role, playing a man who’s a decent, caring father and a functioning kook.

The film may have a predictable ending, but there are times when the path to get there isn’t as transparent. Along this path, Russell manages to make sense of everything, thereby creating an outcome worth caring about.

“Silver Linings Playbook” will leave you smiling as well as emotionally overwhelmed.