Super Bowl tips

Advice on how to prepare a successful party for the biggest football game of the year

This is a big weekend for Baltimore Ravens and San Fransisco 49ers fans, since both teams haven’t seen a Super Bowl ring in a while. Fans of the 49ers especially haven’t seen a Super Bowl party since the Steve Young era, so their party-planning skills are probably a little rusty. Here are some tips for them:

Tip #1 — Do not invite too many people to your Super Bowl party. Cramming all of your friends and family into your apartment or living room can get pretty hectic, and you have to worry about the inconsiderate mess everyone will probably leave behind. If you do choose to invite a huge crowd, then at least make sure you’re a gracious enough host to borrow a high-definition television from Rent-A-Center. Every true football fan wants to enjoy each synthetic blade of grass in the Superdome.

Tip #2 — Do not lose the remote control (probably the most easily lost item within every household). Just imagine the chaos that would ensue if someone sits on the remote and the channel changes to Cartoon Network just as the winning field goal is kicked.

Tip #3 — Be creative when it comes to the food selection. Sure, everyone likes to take the easy path and order pizza, lay out chips and dip, etc., but you are better than that. Practice your cooking skills by making something like mini tacos, or display your awesome grilling skills by preparing some snack-sized mini burgers.

Tip #4 — Don’t go overboard with the alcohol. Yes, I know it can make everything much more fun. However, you’re inviting all of your friends and family to a sociable get-together and to enjoy a football game, not to get so drunk you ruin everyone’s good time. Try to keep an adequate amount of alcohol around — just enough so everyone is still in a suitable state to drive home safely after the game.