Bieber strips down singles in sweet, acoustic album

Heartthrob youngest artist to release fifth No. 1 album

JB. Biebs. Justin. Whatever you call him, he’s breaking hearts and world records. 

The 18-year-old Canadian pop star has made a name for himself by signing a record deal with one of rap’s biggest stars, dating a former Disney Channel actress, introducing the world to the catchiest song of 2012 and, oh yeah, being the youngest person to ever have five No. 1 albums. 

Bieber broke this record with his latest disc, “Believe Acoustic,” a stripped down collection of 10 songs, most of which are new arrangements of tunes off the singer’s summer full-length release, “Believe.” 

While it might be easy for the non-Beliebers of the world to dismiss “Believe Acoustic” as just another piece of pop fluff, the musician shows off a more mature side and greater emotional depth on his new album. 

For starters, Bieber plays the guitar himself on the album, proving that he can do more than just sing. While the arrangements are simple, they lend themselves well to Bieber’s voice, allowing him to expand his range and let his lyrics be heard more clearly. It’s a bit of a throwback to Bieber’s pre-fame days when he posted YouTube covers of tracks like Justin Timberlake’s “Cry Me a River” (If you’ve never seen it, you’ll probably squeal at the sight of baby Bieber. He looks so young!). 

Without sirens whooping and electronic drumbeats thumping, Bieber has a sweet voice. There’s a little raspy-ness in there, but it sounds sincere instead of strained. He’s not a classically trained tenor or a world-class crooner like the greats that came before him by any means, but Bieber’s voice has potential and can only improve with age. 

The album is filled with fan favorites like “Boyfriend,” “As Long As You Love Me” and “Beauty and a Beat.” On the acoustic versions of the tracks that Bieber originally recorded with guest stars like Ludacris and Nicki Minaj, the teen star takes the rap lines as well on some and leaves out the guest verses altogether on others. He’s got “swag,” as he’s told us on more than one occasion, and it may make listeners wonder why he doesn’t spit quick, slick rhymes more often.  

In addition to tracks off “Believe,” Bieber throws in a few bonus tracks that are new to even the most dedicated fans. 

Ballad “Yellow Raincoat” is rumored to be about longtime (possibly ex-) girlfriend Selena Gomez. It’s a lament on the hardships of fame and the titular yellow raincoat is a metaphor: Bieber’s invisibility cloak that keeps him hidden from the haters. 

“Nothing Like Us” is a tearful breakup song, with Justin singing lyrics like, “Girl, why would you push me away?” Such sorrow from an 18-year-old seems a little weird, but it might make you shed a tear. 

“I Would” is not totally acoustic, but you can hear Bieber’s fingers strumming some simple chords in the mix of it all. It’s an R&B cut all the way, with Bieber channeling his heroes Boyz II Men. 

Even though Bieber gets a bad rap for his sappy, cheesy pop songs, “Believe Acoustic” gives the musician a chance to show off his vulnerable side. His honesty and artistry is kind of admirable. 

The Biebs will also be showing off his funny side this weekend when he serves as both host and musical guest on “Saturday Night Live,” airing at 11:30 p.m. on NBC. 

“Believe Acoustic” is in stores and online now.