For Super Bowl commercials, bolder is better

Money, energy spent on risqué ads worthwhile investment for companies

Many people may believe that advertisers are wasting their money by spending fortunes to get their commercial on the air. However, it would be foolish not to do so. This is the one day of the year where commercials themselves are considered entertainment. Most ordinary days, people are irritated by advertisements and ignore them. But during the Super Bowl, consumers pay as much attention to the commercials as they do the game itself.

Often, we think we are smarter than to buy into advertisements. But through the days of rehashing our favorite commercials, we will find ourselves subconsciously thinking about the product. Even if the effect is not immediate or direct, advertisers get us thinking about whatever it is they are selling, hoping that once the product is in our mind, we will be more inclined to desire it. For example, the Taco Bell commercial was one of the funniest that aired during the game. Even though the commercial may seem like it had nothing to do with Taco Bell, the impact it made on viewers drew attention to their brand.

Super Bowl commercials tend to be controversial and many have recently criticized them for crossing lines. However, this is what the advertisers strive to do. This year, Volkswagen is receiving major criticism for an advertisement that many viewers have labeled as racist. While this is perceived differently depending on the viewer, the widespread conversation it has caused is bringing Volkswagen major national attention. Although some would say this is negative attention, the advertisement is being recognized and discussed, achieving the original purpose of keeping the brand name relevant and on our minds. The expression “There is no such thing as bad press,” applies to this exact situation. In no way do I condone racist advertising, but in order for commercials to stand out, the advertisers must be willing to be bold and take a risk if they want to catch our attention. 

While the amount of money and energy advertisers spend to market their product during the Super Bowl may seem preposterous, the benefits gained from these advertisements well surpass the cost.