In our opinion: Internship program gives students good head start

Capstone is launching its Capstone Community Internship Program, a program that will help freshman and sophomore Capstone scholars get a head start in the real world. Working in tandem with USC’s Career Center, the program will enable a select pool of Capstone scholars to secure paid internships over the summer, guiding them through preparation and application processes as well.

In a lousy job market, it’s good to know that USC is doing its best to help students out. Even better, it’s good to know that they’re trying to help students get in the game early in their college careers. As the young adult workforce becomes increasingly competitive, one summer without valuable work or study experience is beginning to seem like one less chance to boost our knowledge base and acquire a solid job post-graduation. The Capstone Community Internship Program uses the fees that Capstone scholars pay each semester to fund their paychecks, essentially giving students’ money right back to them with the added value of good, practical experience.

But resources like these aren’t just available to Capstone scholars -— the USC Career Center is open to everybody. And while it’s easy to see college as four years of party paradise, it’s important that we all recognize the amount of resources we have at our disposal to use in shaping our futures. So take advantage of all the assistance that the university can give to us. Or, at the very least, get your money’s worth — your tuition pays for it already.