In our opinion: Monthly fund allocation system best alternative

USC’s student organizations haven’t been the best at budgeting expenses in the past, but that may not be entirely their fault. The current system, which requires student organizations to request money from Student Government one semester in advance, has generally yielded low rates of usage in the past — only around 50 to 60 percent.

It’s not exactly a shocking discovery. Very few people in January can say what exactly they plan to do in September, and student organizations are no different. Furthermore, dramatic changes occur within organizations from semester to semester — the leadership, for example, or the overall desires and goals of the group. Recognizing this problem, SG is now considering revamping the system so that instead of semester distributions, funds will be allocated on a week-to-week basis.

With $185,000 being demanded and only $75,000 being allocated for the upcoming fall semester, it’s clear the demand for funding from students is there, and it’s important we’re able to help organizations flourish to achieve great things. A greater frequency of allocations would allow student organizations to better plan projects and know with greater certainty what they will need money for. However, abolishing semester distributions for a weekly allocation system could end up chaotic for SG and potentially result in less organization within student organizations, as there would be more leeway to throw together last-minute plans.

SG should consider a moderate stance between the poles of too chaotic and too rare — a monthly allocation system, perhaps. In the same vein, student organizations should be careful to spend what they request so they can receive more from SG in the future. Free money is, after all, never a bad thing.