NFL should address homophobia

USC alumnus shows lack of gay acceptance 

The Super Bowl is the biggest sporting event of the year, and last year’s game was seen by an estimated total of 160 million viewers, or more than half of the nation. Unfortunately, that means that the week leading up to the Super Bowl is filled with copious amounts of unnecessary coverage of mundane stories and pointless interviews. One such interview was conducted by comedian Artie Lange with a former Gamecock football standout, Chris Culliver. Near the end of the interview, Lange asked Culliver whether his team, the 49ers, had any gay players. Culliver said no and went on to say that no gay players were welcome on the team. The 49ers organization released a statement saying that they “reject” Culliver’s sentiments and have discussed it with him, and Culliver himself has apologized. But the damage is already done. Culliver is not the only NFL player who feels this way; he is just the latest to actually express it. But until the homophobia that pervades American athletic culture is gone, gay athletes will continue to hide who they are.

There have been plenty of gay athletes, but very few have been open about their orientation while they’ve been active. Most, like former 49ers offensive lineman Kwame Harris, who was outed this week after being charged with domestic violence against his boyfriend, have come out after they’ve retired.

There are undoubtedly multiple gay athletes in major sports today, but coming out would make them subject to intense scrutiny and ridicule from many. This has a lot to do with the macho culture of American sports in general — especially football. Often players will put themselves at extra risk by playing with a concussion or any other type of serious injury just to prove that they are tough. Those who don’t are regarded as “soft” like Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler. He was ridiculed for leaving a playoff game in 2011, when he had actually sprained his MCL.

Culliver is almost assuredly not the only NFL player who harbors homophobic feelings. Remarks like his sound familiar to me because I’ve heard similar sentiments from various individuals throughout my life, and to my shame, I’ve expressed the same vitriol. I realize now that gay people are not inherently disgusting. They are not depraved or immoral; they’re just regular people. The NFL has made some progress in this area in recent years. Both Chris Kluwe and Brendon Ayanbedejo, NFL players for the Minnesota Vikings and Baltimore Ravens respectively, expressed support for marriage equality during the election.

The sporting world is one of the final frontiers for the LGBT community. There are undoubtedly many members of that community already in the realm, but very few have been willing to be open about it. But as long as attitudes like Culliver’s are still prevalent, this prejudice is not likely to change.