Pedestrian struck on Assembly Street Tuesday

A 20-year-old woman is moved to an ambulance Tuesday afternoon after she was hit by a USC student turning left onto Assembly Street from Greene Street.

20-year-old woman suffers minor injuries; USC student cited following incident

A 20-year-old woman was hit by a car while crossing Assembly Street Tuesday afternoon.

The victim was hit by the front of a red Nissan Altima turning left to head southbound on Assembly from Greene Street at about 12:20 p.m., according to a police department release.

She suffered minor injuries and was in stable condition Tuesday afternoon, according to police.

Whether she is a USC student is not clear, and the victim’s identity was not been released by police spokeswoman Jennifer Timmons.

The victim had a walk signal, and the driver, Laneisha Moskowitz, had a green light, according to the release.

Moskowitz, who is listed as a third-year early childhood education student in the USC directory, was cited with failure to yield to a pedestrian.

The victim was hit by the front of the car and knocked to the ground. Her bag appeared to have been knocked out of her hand, and she was lying face down in the roadway as she was tended by EMS, the fire department and police.

The woman was treated on the road for about 20 minutes before she was transported to Palmetto Health Richland. Police remained on the scene to investigate.

The safety of crossing Assembly Street is a growing concern as the Darla Moore School of Business gets ready to move into its new building next to the Carolina Coliseum.

In 2011, the university’s board of trustees approved a $4 million plan to make the crosswalks at Assembly’s intersections at Blossom, College and Greene streets with wider sidewalks and a bigger landing area with shade trees and landscaping in the median.

Construction for those plans is expected to get underway by around March 15 and should mostly be done by the end of October, according to Ed Walton, USC’s chief financial officer.