Tête à Tête: University doing best it possibly can with funds

USC is adequately addressing renovations needs of our campus

The Issue: As the university renovates its outdated buildings, there's concern that some facilities are being left behind

We’re supposed to be the crown jewel of the USC system. As the flagship campus of the University of South Carolina, we should be the best of the best with up-to-date facilities and spectacular resources for students along with a breathtaking campus that help showcase our state as truly one of beautiful places and smiling faces. 

But when you visit several of our old, dilapidated buildings — I’m looking at you, Hamilton College and McBryde — it’s hard to do anything but gasp at the often sorry state of our buildings. As students here at Carolina, we often pay thousands in tuition and other associated costs, yet we are forced to live and learn in places that are relics of a forgotten era. 

Luckily for us, though, USC is continuously renovating and expanding key programs and services along with the buildings that house them. October saw the completion of the new Rice Center for the athletics department, and the well-regarded Darla Moore School of Business new building is quickly approaching completion by the end of the year. In just these past few weeks alone, the university has discussed plans to break ground on a new health center and law school as well.

With the money we’ve been given, USC has done an excellent job attempting to fix the many issues we face by focusing on the key issues and programs first. It isn’t the most ideal or comfortable situation for many students, but it’s reality. 

Yes, many buildings on campus desperately need to be fixed up so they can be returned to their former glory, and yes, it would be great if we could do all of these things at once. However, correcting the exhaustive list of problems many of our buildings face in these economic times isn’t feasible. We simply don’t have the funds or the necessary support to do so.

It’s not right and it’s not fair, but we have to play the cards we’re dealt. If we can’t afford to have everything we want fixed right now, we’ll just have to do what everyone else does: prioritize, be patient and hope for the best. USC is renovating at the most efficient and best possible pace we can. By focusing on USC’s main programs and needs, we’re ensuring that our school’s key players continue to shine, which will allow USC to continue to flourish.