USC's campus susceptible to crime, violence

More awareness needed to stay safe

This past week alone, two armed robberies have occurred on campus and multiple gunshots were reported in the Five Points area. While no suspects have been identified, police are attempting to find a solution to this recurring problem of armed violent crime in the area. However, until something concrete is done, a sensation of vulnerability prevails, and students aren’t able to feel safe and secure in their environment.

The best way for students to deal with this is to be as aware of their surroundings as possible. The expression that there is safety in numbers is extremely important to remember, especially late at night when students are in the Five Points area. Since it’s so close to campus, many students walk to and from downtown. College students are already considered easy victims because it is assumed they have money and are unsuspecting targets.

However, when traveling alone there are precautions to help ensure the safest experience. Do not allow yourself to be distracted. It is always good to think in advance of the most public route possible to reach your destination. It may seem easier to walk through campus, but walking on the main roads with constant traffic provides more witnesses and potential aid if you find yourself in a dangerous situation. Also, if you are walking on the sidewalk and see someone approaching from a distance that raises even a slight concern, cross the street and walk on the other side.

Realistically, not every situation is preventable or avoidable, but taking small precautions can help to ensure safety.