Artificial food coloring dangerous

Buyers' choices should change if laws don't 

Knowing what food is good for you and what’s junk is essential to leading a long and healthy life. But while it’s easy to decipher an apple from a piece of cake, determining the nutritional value of food isn’t always so straightforward. For instance, one ingredient that could prove detrimental to one’s health has led to a nationwide petition calling for its ban — artificial food coloring.

Artificial food coloring is used in a wide variety of food items we consume, but many people don’t consider it a contributor to the health value. But lab tests on animals have supported that the use of these artificial dyes can result in allergic reactions, asthma, decreased cognitive function, and even cancer.

And it’s not like we lack a substitute. Due to legislation, the same companies that use artificial food coloring here are forced to use natural food coloring in most of Europe. Other countries that still allow artificial coloring require warning labels on all products using the coloring. 

This strips the companies of any argument pleading that the use of artificial food coloring is necessary. If we can convince the FDA to enforce warning labels on items that contain artificial food colorings, maybe food companies would resort to using natural food dyes in America like they have been in Europe, making our nation healthier overall.

While the petition has already found a great deal of support, it will be a long process before any definitive action is taken. But until then, the best chance people have at being successful in a healthy lifestyle is to educate themselves on the ingredients in foods they buy.