Clowney gets insurance

Despite gaining 13 pounds during the offseason, junior defensive end Jadeveon Clowney says he has not lost any speed.

Star defensive end speaks to local media for first time this spring

Sophomore defensive end Jadeveon Clowney started Thursday’s second practice of the spring lounging on a tackling dummy while the defensive line rotated through the first drill. But when it came time for the unanimous All-American to take his turn at the exercise, he made it clear that he was not there to take it easy.

Throughout the offseason, the national media has speculated as to whether or not Clowney should not play in the 2013 football season in order to prevent injury and hurt his draft stock. Clowney has since put those rumors to bed, granting that he and his teammates have had fun with the national attention.

“You all know I’m going to go crazy if I sit out,” Clowney said. “I didn’t really pay no more attention after that.”

Even though the possibility of losing Clowney for the season has become a moot point, there are still concerns among the coaching staff about tentativeness from the star defensive end as he aims for the No. 1 pick in the April 2014 draft. Amid the unease, Clowney insisted that his coaches have nothing to worry about.

“I can just lead, just keep on doing what I’ve been doing since I got here, and that’s playing hard every play,” Clowney said. “It’s not hard; I’m used to it. I’ve been in this program for two years ... It just comes natural.”

As much as he would like for it to be business as usual on the football field, Clowney said he recognizes that the upcoming season is different from any others he’s ever played. This offseason, he has taken out a $5 million insurance policy on himself to protect him financially if he suffers a season-ending or career-threatening injury.

Between the Outback Bowl win and the start of spring practice, Clowney said he has put on 13 pounds, bringing his weight up to 273. However, he insisted that he has not lost any of his speed, and he is still running a 4.54 40-yard dash, which he said is as fast as he has run in his collegiate career.

The reigning SEC defensive player of the year has been subject to a barrage of attention this offseason, including an appearance on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

“I’m going to be ready for it,” Clowney said. “I’m really going to deal with it and just keep playing like I’ve been playing, 100 percent, and just try to go out and do better than I did last year.”

Youth at the running back position:

Entering its first spring without tailback Marcus Lattimore since he arrived as a high school recruit, South Carolina has officially begun the post-Lattimore era of Gamecock football. In addition, running back Kenny Miles played out his last year of NCAA eligibility in 2012, leaving the tailback position wide open.

“(The transition) started really after he got hurt last year,” running backs coach Everette Sands said. “Guys were starting to step up and really the main guy for me at that point was Kenny Miles.”

This year’s crop of running backs does not feature a single junior or senior, leaving the spot up for grabs for a number of underclassmen. Sands will be forced to go back to the drawing board to evaluate his stable of backs without Lattimore’s talent or Miles’ seniority.

“You can be a sophomore, or a redshirt freshman, or a true freshman,” Sands said. “One of those guys is going to have to step up and start taking that leadership role.”