Southern Hospitality : Good Ole Boys Apparel Born in the Carolinas

Good Ole Boys apparel line rooted in tradition, lifelong friendships

Some things in this world are simply synonymous with the South. The tiny beads of condensation slowly gliding down a cold glass of iced tea in the heat of a steamy June day, heaping dinner plates piled high with fried chicken, green beans, mac ‘n’ cheese and cornbread, and the gentle “bless your heart” catchphrase only true Southerners know to be laced with subtle derision. Now, there’s one more star to add to our lapel, and it’s being stitched up right here in the Palmetto state.

For the past year, the Good Ole Boys apparel line has been taking root in the Southeast, steadily sprawling its way across Georgia, Alabama and the Carolinas. The apparel’s signature emblem, a lone golfer standing mid-swing amid the lush greenery of a fairway, exudes the casual culture and simplicity the line represents. It’s a throwback to a timeless era that encompasses all the values of the quintessential “good ol’ boy” — a deep commitment to camaraderie, easy living and traditional values.

Although the line of apparel and products has only recently become available for commercial sale, the concept of Good Ole Boys is a deeply woven thread in the rich heritage of Greenville native and company CEO Neal Moseley. Moseley, whose last name may ring a bell for several generations of football fans, is the grandson of famed pigskin legend Bill Moseley. Moseley’s extensive career in football gifted him with dual roles on the gridiron, starting as a player under the legendary Bear Bryant before stepping to the other edge of the sidelines as a coach. But it was on a different type of green where Moseley forged a series of enduring friendships with his colleagues — former players and coaches — that he has carried with him to this day. Thus, the original “good ole boys” were born.

“In the ’90s, my grandfather and this group of friends would meet to play golf once or twice a week, sometimes with 20 or 30 people,” Moseley said. “The respect they had for him was unbelievable and motivating. One of the guys started making the original Good Ole Boys hat but never thought anything of it.”

In 2006 Moseley inherited three of these hats from his Pop, inciting a commotion of questions from his peers when he wore the retro gear to his high school. Over the years, demand for Moseley’s signature cap began to climb; he ordered 120 before graduating high school. Two years later, that order hiked to 3,000 — a huge leap for some, but this type of unrestrained pace has become one of the keystones of the Good Ole Boy company.

“We have tons of goals — and very big goals at that,” said Good Ole Boy president and Gamecock alumnus Sam Kleckley. “In the years to come, we plan to introduce new lines and products in a variety of categories, starting with the hunting and fishing lifestyle. Ideally, you’ll be able to buy your Good Ole Boys fishing shirt in one section, your rod in the next, then your Good Ole Boys gun case and Jon Boat on the way out.”

Kleckley, who inherited a taste for business from his father’s successful restaurant ventures in Greenville, moved to Atlanta in December 2011, sharing an apartment with Moseley in between the daily grind of typical office jobs. In April the boys decided to take the leap from side project to full-fledged career. Dropping their current jobs, the pair churned out a 30-page business model for Good Ole Boys’ success and began reaching out to local investors for the $200,000 startup they needed to get the brand off the ground. They were soon joined by longtime pals Bo Wood and Will Freemon, recreating the powerful role of companionship started by Bill Moseley on the links nearly two decades ago.

With numerous local investors backing the 20-somethings, the apparel line began gaining steam. Freemon, who tackles a busy schedule between classes on USC’s campus and his duties as a GOB representative and mentor, said the quartet was never lacking in inspiration or guidance. Like his business partners, Freemon only had to look as far as his family tree for a little encouragement — grandfather and real estate titan C. Dan Joyner began his renowned Prudential company with only $1,000. But there’s another role model in Freemon’s life, it just may not quite be who you expect.

“I definitely look up to Rob Dyrdek,” the fourth-year retailing student said. “He started DC Shoes, which is a huge apparel company, and he did it at a young age like us. He knows how to get his work done, look after his friends and have some fun.”

While Moseley said the boys have certainly had their share of fun working together over the past 10 months, the line’s recent accomplishments (with a few mistakes peppered in the mix) have only created a more insatiable thirst for satisfaction. Combine that with high levels of competition and a never-ending push for success, and things could get explosive. Instead, Kleckley says, the boys use it as the fuel for their motivation. Stating they all do “a little bit of everything,” for the company, each member’s expertise makes the brand cohesive.

“Bo is a little bit more behind the scenes, working with the website and warehouse to make sure orders are done correctly, while Neal and I work well as a traveling sales team to get our product to more retailers,” Kleckley said. “Will’s on the phone with us every day with ways to keep moving forward. It’s awesome but challenging at times.”

“It’s really just been about learning the process,” Moseley added. “We were all new to this at the beginning, but as long as we learn it right the first time and don’t make the same mistakes twice, we will be successful. We have a long way to go, and we’re excited about the future of Good Ole Boys Apparel.”

These days, the reincarnation of the classic Good Ole Boys cap can be found on sale in 12 stores, with new orders always on tap. In addition to the casual feel of the original pocket T-shirt and hat, retail stores shelves are stocked with the more formal polo shirt as well as the newest Breeze-Line, all designed with comfort, color and clean style in mind. In the spirit of continual progress, the boys plan to bring the Good Ole Boys to campus this fall, designing a college-inspired line in the shades and logos inspired by your favorite teams. Vice president and USC graduate Wood says one of the best aspects of the brand is this pull to different personalities.

“The line really appeals to just about anybody,” he said. “All people of every age seem to enjoy our products.”

The future may be unknown for Kleckley, Freemon, Wood and Moseley, but one thing is certainly undeniable: They each possess the passion, ideas and savvy to thrust the Good Ole Boys to a national scale of success. And with a continuously positive outlook, it’s hard to think they won’t do just that.

“We truly believe that we can be a multimillion-dollar company in the next 10 to 20 years,” Kleckley said. “The sky is the limit — it’s just how far you can push it.”

“We know our popularity will be worldwide and reach way farther than just the South,” Freemon added. “But I do love the South. Jadeveon Clowney and beautiful women — it’s hard to beat that.”