Crime Blotter: March 29 – April 5

Crime Blotter for March 29 – April 5

— An officer was checking the Horizon I building late Thursday night when he saw a man lying between a wall and a door with an open bottle of vodka in his lap. The officer could smell alcohol coming from the man and saw he could not stand up without holding onto the wall. After identifying the man, the officer found he had several trespass notices prior and cited him for two counts of trespass after notice and one count of disorderly conduct. The man was then transported to Richland Medical Center due to his condition. The officer emptied the bottle and disposed of it.

— Officers observed a black Jeep Cherokee speeding down Greene Street early Friday morning. When the car turned at the corner of Greene and Gregg streets, the driver “squalled the tires” and braked to avoid colliding with a parked white Jeep Cherokee. Officers stopped the car and spoke with the driver, who had slurred speech, was not speaking in complete sentences and smelled of alcohol. An officer asked the man to step out of the car and complete multiple field sobriety tests, which he failed. Officers arrested him for driving under the influence.

The officers then noticed a half-full can of Natural Light in the front cup holder and cited the man for driving with an open container of alcohol. The car was towed, and the man was transported to the Alvin S. Glenn Detention center, where he was offered a breath test. The man refused the breath test and his driver’s license was suspended.

—Post–Carolina Cup Crime of the Week: Officers were called early on the morning of March 31 in reference to two men in a white SUV breaking into a U-Haul truck behind the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity house. Witnesses told the officers they had seen the men behind the Pi Kappa Phi house open the truck, only to close it and drive off when they saw others could see them. Police stopped a white GMC on Gadsden Street with two men inside. The men told officers they were students at The Citadel, although officers saw a cooler in the back seat with “University of South Carolina” painted on it. The men said the cooler belonged to a member of another fraternity who had graduated and could not be contacted. When police removed the cooler, they found alcohol inside and cited both men for possessing alcohol underage.