McKissick Museum show highlights ‘vanishing world’ of sideshows

Sideshow performer Todd Robbins to speak at museum event tonight

From swallowing swords to juggling sticks of fire, quirky and daring sideshow performers have played a unique role in the entertainment business for decades.

This evening, students can get a glimpse into the “vanishing world” of the sideshow experience through entertainer Todd Robbins, who performed in sideshows for 30 years. McKissick Museum is hosting a talk by Robbins to accompany its current “Step Right Up! Sideshows in American Culture” exhibit and will be showing the film “American Carny: True Tales from the Circus Sideshow” at 5:30 p.m. today.

Robbins breaks down the sideshows’ way of performing into three different types of acts: self-made freaks, true freaks and the category he says he falls into, working acts.

“With working acts, the average person learns how to do many kinds of things, like swallowing swords,” Robbins said. “There are no tricks to what I do — I really do swallow swords and chow down on broken glass. There were a few mishaps during the years, but I’ve learned techniques that served in me being alive all of these years.”

From now until May 11, McKissick’s “Sideshows” exhibit is available for visitors to explore the history of carnival culture and sideshow performances, featuring the work of Beaufort artist Rebecca Davenport.

Robbins will be seeing the exhibit for the first time tonight. He said he’s excited to see how the history of sideshows is represented.

“The sideshow is timeless, and it still appeals today,” Robbins said. “It’s a great thing to be a part of the experience, and I hope that students can gain an appreciation for this wonderful old form of entertainment.”

Throughout Robbins’ career, he said he has been influenced by many seasoned performers who taught him how to do everything he does now. One person he recognized was Melvin Burkhart, who is featured in “American Carny.”

In addition to performing influences, Robbins said his family members are also great supporters of his work.

“My parents, who are no longer with us, was very supportive of all that I did and do,” Robbins said, “Now with my own family, my wife is very supportive. She’s also in show business but on the productive side.”

Also supporting Robbins is his son, whom Robbins and his wife named after the well-known circus performer P.T. Barnum.
“My son asked me one day, ‘When I turn 5, will you teach me how to swallow swords?’” Robbins said.

Robbins said he laughed at the question, but his son, although intrigued by what his father does, understands even at a young age that sideshow tricks can be dangerous and that he shouldn’t try any of it just yet.