Crime Blotter for June 7-June 14

Crime Blotter for June 7 – June 14

—An officer responded to a report of an assault at Williams-Brice Stadium late on the night of June 10. A woman was working with a cleaning service at the stadium when two of her co-workers got into an argument. The woman told them to stop arguing as she was pregnant and did not want to be in a stressful situation. One of the co-workers then slapped her in the face. USC’s Division of Law Enforcement could not provide a Spanish-speaking officer to the woman, who only spoke Spanish, so they told her they would be in contact with her in writing. A Spanish-speaking Columbia police officer translated for her.

—An older black male was stopped while walking through the Bates parking lot late on the afternoon of June 9. The man told an officer he was on his way to work and was not a student or staff member. The officer looked up the man’s information and found that he was wanted on outstanding warrants for violating his probation for burglary and cocaine possession. The man was arrested for being a fugitive from justice.

—Drug Bust of the Week: An officer stopped a red Ford Explorer late on the night of June 8 for having expired registration tags. When he spoke with the driver, he noticed a silver grinder on the dashboard. The driver said the grinder didn’t belong to her and that there were no drugs in the car. The passenger said the same. The officer asked them both to get out of the car before he searched it, recovering a plastic container of marijuana. The passenger admitted the drugs were his and he was issued a citation for simple possession of marijuana.

— Complied by Amanda Coyne, Editor-in-Chief