In Brief: June 5, 2013

143-year-old building renovated as coffee shop

The oldest building on Columbia’s Main Street will be converted into a coffee shop and bank by First Citizens, The State reported. The Brennen Building, built in 1870, is located across the street from the State House. First Citizens expects to see healthy number of customers stopping in to purchase a fresh cup of java, use their free Wi-Fi and have a spot to manage their financial needs.
The Brennen Building was the site of the Capital Cafe, also known as the Capital Restaurant from 1911 until First Citizens purchased the aging French Victorian-style building in 2002. The completion of this project will be the latest renovation on North Main Street since the Nickelodeon theatre relocated next to the Mast General Store.
The new establishment will open its doors at 1210 Main Street in August with hours from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

— Maxwell Bauman, Copy Desk Chief

*Sellers to announce bid for lieutenant governor
*
State Rep. Bakari Sellers, D-Bamberg, will announce plans Thursday to run for lieutenant governor in 2014, The State reported.
Sellers, 28, who has been in the State House for six years, is likely to face incumbent Lt. Gov. Glenn McConnell, a 30-year state Senate veteran who served as president pro tempore of the body for 11 years. McConnell assumed the position in March 2012 after former Lt. Gov. Ken Ard resigned amid charges of more than 100 ethics violations.
If elected, Sellers would be the first African American lieutenant governor in more than a century. Three African Americans held the position between 1870 and 1876, during Reconstruction.
Sellers was pulled over for driving under the influence after a South Carolina football game in October, but was later charged with the lesser offense of reckless driving, to which he pleaded guilty in April.

— Amanda Coyne, Editor-in-Chief
*
Restaurant concealed carry passed in state House*

Concealed weapons permit holders in South Carolina may soon be able to bring their guns into restaurants and bars, The State reported.
The South Carolina House of Representatives passed a bill that would allow people to bring concealed weapons into establishments that serve alcohol, although they would be barred from drinking. The bill passed 100-12 and is headed back to the state Senate, where it originated.
Owners of businesses that serve alcohol who object to permit holders bringing their weapons inside may post signs prohibiting them, the bill says.
The House removed a curfew and a provision that would keep gun owners out of bars and other places expressly used for serving alcohol.
The Senate must approve these changes before the bill goes to Gov. Nikki Haley’s desk.

— Amanda Coyne, Editor-in-Chief