Personal information of more than 6,000 students could be compromised by computer theft

Social Security numbers may be at risk, university says

As many as 6,300 students’ social security numbers could have been compromised when a computer was stolen from the physics and astronomy department in April, spokesman Wes Hickman said.
Since the theft, the university has been trying to identify which students’ information was on the computer, which was used for testing in four physics classes between January 2010 and April 2013. The university sent letters to students Monday who had been enrolled in those classes.
“That doesn’t necessarily mean all of those students are at risk (for identity theft),” Hickman said. “We decided to notify any students who could potentially be impacted. It’s better to notify everyone just in case.”
No arrests have been made in the theft, but a Division of Law Enforcement and Safety investigation is ongoing, Hickman said.
The potential breach isn’t the first USC has faced recently. Last June, a cyber attack compromised the personal information of up to 34,000 students, university employees and others.
USC is moving away from using Social Security numbers to identify students taking tests and toward VIP numbers, but Hickman said the physics and astronomy department hasn’t yet made the switch.
Students who receive letters may be at risk and are urged to contact credit bureaus and file a fraud alert, which will help identify potential identity theft. The university is also offering fraud and identity theft services to any affected students for a year.