MTV Video Music Awards Wrap-up

Sunday’s 2013 MTV Video Music Awards left viewers everywhere scratching their heads over some of the bizarre, disturbing things that happened. Truthfully, I don’t think many people even paid attention to what celebrities actually won awards. Everyone was much more focused on the line of dancing teddy bears and Taylor Swift’s awkward dance moves. In case you missed it, here are all the highlights from a VMA night that will go down in history.

MILEY CAN’T STOPBUT SHE SHOULD
Miley Cyrus — where to begin? Miley stunned the audience with a confusing performance that fits right in with the age-old trainwreck analogy: It was awful, and I want to look away, but we just can’t stop watching it over and over again. I can’t even decide what the best/worst part was: her skintight bear onesie or the nude-colored undergarments she was wearing underneath it. Not to mention the fact that she couldn’t keep her tongue in her mouth and was wearing her hair in odd little blond buns. There was also the group of large teddy bears dancing to her latest hit, but the most shocking part was probably her inappropriate performance with Robin Thicke, a respected performer who’s married and old enough to be her father. Rapper 2 Chainz swooped in to save the day, and when that’s something to be thankful for, you know there’s a problem.

NOT SO GAGA FOR GAGA
Lady Gaga is notorious for her outrageous and over-the-top costumes and performances, but her performance at this year’s VMAs was actually quite normal — other than the face paint and seashell bra. The most shocking thing about her opening performance was the loud boo-ing coming from the audience. I’m still not sure why there was such an uproar over a relatively tame performance.

HI HI HI, N*SYNC
We all knew it was going to happen. Every 20-something girl who grew up singing N*SYNC into their karaoke machine was sitting at the edge of their seats waiting for the four other band members to reveal themselves through the fog. Although the reunion did happen, the group only performed together for about a minute and a half, and for part of that, they sang one of Justin Timberlake’s songs. The band looked a little uncomfortable as well, not to mention significantly older and a lot rustier with the dance moves than Timberlake.

HATS OFF TO MACKLEMORE
Seattle rapper/superstar Macklemore provided one of the best performances of the night by far alongside his musical partner, Ryan Lewis, and Mary Lambert, who provided guest vocalists for hit single “Same Love.” The inspirational song supporting marriage equality, and civil rights in general, won Best Video with a Social Message, and the trio performed it flawlessly. It probably helps that Macklemore writes actual lyrics, while Miley Cyrus treats listeners everywhere to lines like, “We run things / things don’t run we.”