Military, first responders honored in 9/11 memorial ceremony

Families of fallen first responders joined military officers and city officials Wednesday evening to commemorate the 12th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center.

Held at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center, the ceremony celebrated the memory of servicemen who were killed in the line of duty. The Army Honor Guard led a roll call of the local fallen heroes and wreaths were presented to their families.

Saying it was difficult to describe her brother in only a few words, Dawn Yamashiro and her son held up some of her brother’s favorite things and family pictures.

“I salute those who put themselves in harm’s way to protect others,” Yamashiro said, addressing the crowd.

The ceremony also celebrated the unveiling of a new monument to recognize military and police dogs who have been killed in the line of duty. The new memorial, a gray stone dog, gazes up at the towers of the First Responders Remembrance Memorial outside of the Convention Center.

For Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott, the monument brings back memories of one dog in particular.

“In December of 2011, Fargo was shot and killed,” Lott said. “He was just protecting his fellow deputies.”

The 282nd Army Band of Fort Jackson provided the music of the ceremony and was joined by the Greater Columbia Children’s Choir. As the national anthem was performed, a group of helicopters flew over the Convention Center in tribute.

Daniel Hennigan, the founder of the memorial, also addressed the crowd. Praising the family members for their strength in the face of tragedy, Hennigan spoke about why the memorial was erected and what it represents.

“Three years ago today, I said that we would never forget,” Hennigan said. “Families of first responders, this is your memorial, and we still have not forgotten.”