Color Me Rad paints Columbia

5,000 run for Happy Wheels charity

Five thousand people dressed as fairies, bananas and cows in white from head to toe were pelted with paint as they ran across Columbia early Saturday at the Color Me Rad 5k.

The profits from the race will go to the local Happy Wheels charity. Happy Wheels raises money to purchase new books and toys to take to the inpatient children at the Medical University of South Carolina Children’s Hospital in Charleston, Palmetto Health Children’s Hospital in Columbia and Greenville Children’s Hospital. Every Monday, volunteers and workers visit the hospitals and bring sick children these gifts.

“We are really, really thankful that an organization like Color Me Rad would come in and select a local charity like us to help raise money,” said Tracy Rankin, program director of Happy Wheels Columbia.

This year, Happy Wheels had approximately 150 volunteers helping at the run.

“It’s my first year and I’m enjoying it, everyone is in a good mood and it really brings people together,” said Happy Wheels volunteer Stacy McGaha.

This is the second year Color Me Rad has chosen to select Happy Wheels as the charity to benefit. Last year, they had about 6,500 participants and raised over $23,500.

“When ever Color Me Rad does a run in the state of South Carolina, Happy Wheels is the charity that they choose,” Rankin said.

The 3.1-mile race started at 8 a.m. outside the Colonial Life Arena, went up around the State House to the University Hill neighborhood and then back, all while being doused in color.

First to finish the race was participant Michael Turner.

“It was pretty awesome,” Turner said. “I was pretty surprised, but it was a great run and a beautiful morning.”

The participants were being covered in a Kroger-branded colored corn starch that is safe and nontoxic. When signing up, runners received a packet of color of their own but were also able to purchase additional packets. Throughout the race volunteers threw color at them with corn starch filled fire extinguishers and color launchers.

“I haven’t been this excited this early in the morning in a while,” first-year international business and Spanish student Lauren Early said.

The second to finish the race was Brenden Franklin, a high school cross-country runner.

“It was a lot of fun, it was a lot different from most courses,” Franklin said.

During the race, a master of ceremonies led different games, gave out prizes played music and had Zumba lessons to warm people up for the run.

There were people of all ages and many people that had traveled to Columbia to participate because their local run had been filled up.

“It’s a cool way to run and see the city. We don’t have a car and we mostly stay on campus, so it’s a nice way to see the city,” said third-year international business student Bernice Hiltrop, who is from the Netherlands.