In brief: Sept. 15, 2013

Columbia building may become historical site

The Palmetto Compress and Warehouse building has been empty for years, but it may be on track to become a preserved historical site, The Post and Courier reported.

The big brick building was almost torn down until the city stopped demolition plans and bought the building earlier this year.

The Columbia Development Corporation got a $5.6 million loan from the city of Columbia in order to purchase the building to save it from demolition, according to Fred Delk, the director of the Columbia Development Corporation.

“I think we’re going to get a lot of different proposals, and they’re going to range from student residential with some commercial to the other extreme of some combinations of lodging, market residential, office uses and commercial uses,” Delk said.

Clemson senior killed in pickup truck crash

A pickup truck crash killed a 21-year-old Clemson University senior over the weekend, The State reported.

Sara Ann Comer of York County was one of three people ejected from a 2005 Chevrolet pickup truck after it swerved off of the road at around 3 a.m. Saturday, according to Calhoun County Coroner Donnie Porth. Neither of the passengers nor the driver was wearing seatbelts.

The other passenger and the driver of the pickup truck were taken to hospitals, but their condition remains unknown.

“The driver overcorrected, and the vehicle went back to the left side of the roadway and back to the right, struck several trees and overturned,” S.C. Highway Patrol trooper Sgt. Bob Beres said.

*Inquest hearing to be held for Mitchell case
*
Nearly four months after Columbia police shot and killed a 21-year-old man in northern Columbia, Richland County Coroner Gary Watts will hold an inquest hearing on Tuesday, The State reported.

Ajani Mitchell was shot and killed by three Columbia police officers on May 25 of this year.

Six people will sit on the jury that decides whether or not the officers were justified in shooting and killing Mitchell. Watts will preside over the inquest, which will take place at the Richland County Courthouse. This will be Watts’ fourth inquest in his 12 years of being a coroner.

Mitchell’s mother was the one to make two separate calls to police on the day Mitchell was killed, saying that she was afraid of her armed son.