In Brief: September 13, 2013

Foul play expected in Columbia death

A man was found dead near the intersection of Center and McFadden streets shortly after 8 a.m. Thursday, and the Columbia Police Department expects foul play, The State reported.

A passerby found the body Thursday morning near the intersection of Two Notch and Covenant roads.

When the man was found, Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said it was likely that he had been dead for less than 12 hours.

“We are treating this as a homicide,” Watts said. Watts did not reveal the suspected cause of death Thursday, saying he did not want to confirm anything before an autopsy established the cause of death.

The Richland County Coroner’s office is assisting with the case.

— Hannah Jeffrey, Assistant News Editor

Three found dead in submerged vehicle in Charleston

Two women, one man and a dog were found dead in Penny Creek after a passerby saw a submerged SUV in the water, WIS reported.

The Charleston County Coroner’s Office identified 50-year-old Don Dent, 35-year-old Mary Simmonds and 38-year-old Allyson Key as the deceased. All three died from drowning.

Officers from the Charleston Police Department responded to the scene at around 7:30 a.m., when they found a Toyota 4Runner with bodies inside.

Tracks at the scene showed that the SUV lost control and over-corrected twice before hitting the water and submerging.

The vehicle was removed from the water around 11:30 a.m.

“[They were] best friends; they loved the saltwater,” Sue Crawford, a friend of the trio, said. “What better place to be in the saltwater together?”

— Hannah Jeffrey, Assistant News Editor

Tyheem Henrey updates Facebook from prison, gets caught

The ringleader of the beating of Carter Strange in Five Points two years ago, Tyheem Henrey, was reportedly updating his Facebook status from prison, according to The State.

Charleston Thug Life, a Lowcountry blog that documents the social media of prisoners, posted several updates pertaining to Henrey last Sunday, which got the attention of the South Carolina Department of Corrections.

This prompted a “shakedown” in two of the dorms in Lee Correctional Institution in Bishopville, where Henrey is serving 15 years for assault and battery.

Spokesman Clark Newsom said that several contraband items were discovered in the search, including Henrey’s cell phone and its charger that he had hidden in his shoe.

Henrey, now 21, will be placed in solitary confinement for 23 hours a day, leaving once a day to exercise. It has not been confirmed how long Henrey will remain in lockdown.

­— Hannah Jeffrey, Assistant News Editor