Big names take over October films

Fall films make for big box office hits

The closer the end of the year gets, the more the Oscar race heats up.
“12 Years a Slave” and “Blue Is the Warmest Color” are two of the probable but controversial contenders.
Here are some upcoming releases:“Dracula 3D” — limited release today; directed by Dario Argento; starring Thomas Kretschmann and Rutger Hauer

The 73-year-old Italian horror maestro Dario Argento has taken a stab at Bram Stoker’s classic novel. The film was shot in 3D, but sadly it will be shown in only a very limited number of theaters and shown in 3D on even fewer screens. This might be because the film has gotten very harsh reviews. Perhaps the film will best be appreciated, if at all, by Argento completists.

“Gravity” — released today; directed by Alfonso Cuarón; starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney

Of all the films playing in IMAX this year, Alfonso Cuarón’s sci-fi thriller should be at the top of the must-see list. Critics have almost all written glowing reviews of the film. It’s been said it has some of the best special effects in film history and that it is 90 minutes of brilliant minimalist filmmaking on a grand scale.

“Runner Runner” — released today; directed by Brad Furman; starring Justin Timberlake, Ben Affleck and Gemma Arterton

Justin Timberlake stars as a college math whiz who gets pulled into a world of gambling, crime and violence led by Ben Affleck. Just go see “Gravity.”
“A Touch of Sin” — limited release today; directed by Jia Zhangke; starring Wu Jiang, Vivien Li, Lanshan Luo and Baoqiang Wang

Chinese filmmaker Jia Zhangke’s new violent take on modern Chinese society premiered earlier this year at the Cannes Film Festival, where he won the Best Screenplay award.
“Romeo and Juliet” — limited release Oct. 11; directed by Carlo Carlei; starring Hailee Steinfeld, Douglas Booth, Paul Giamatti, Stellan Skarsgård, Damian Lewis and Kodi Smit-McPhee

Oscar nominee Hailee Steinfeld is astonishingly good in the Coen brothers’ “True Grit.” She now takes on one of the most legendary roles in all of literature. She should be ready to recite Shakespeare’s words, because “True Grit” gave her practice with dense, antiquated dialogue.

“Captain Phillips” ­— released Oct. 11; directed by Paul Greengrass; starring Tom Hanks and Catherine Keener

Paul Greengrass (“The Bourne Ultimatum,” “United 93”) is one of the best action directors working today, because he combines politics and a sense of urgency and immediacy in his action scenes. His new film is based on a true story and stars Tom Hanks as the title character, who is kidnapped by Somali pirates.
“Escape from Tomorrow” — limited release Oct. 11; directed by Randy Moore; starring Roy Abramsohn, Elena Schuber and Katelynn Rodriguez
This is arguably the most daring film shoot of the year. This tiny black-and-white feature was filmed inside Disney parks without the corporation’s knowledge or permission. With guerilla-style film making, this black comedy captures the downfall of a typical American family on vacation.

“Machete Kills” — released Oct. 11; directed by Robert Rodriguez; starring Danny Trejo, Jessica Alba, Antonio Banderas, Demian Bichir, Lady Gaga, Mel Gibson, Cuba Gooding Jr., Amber Heard, Vanessa Hudgens, Michelle Rodriguez, Charlie Sheen and Sofía Vergara

The original “Machete” was based on Robert Rodriguez’s fake trailer in “Grindhouse.” The sequel will be another violent, trashy exploitation film or, more accurately, a spoof of them. Like the original film, the sequel has an eclectic cast, from Oscar winners Mel Gibson and Cuba Gooding, Jr. to pop stars Lady Gaga and Vanessa Hudgens.
“Gambit” — released Oct. 12; written by Ethan and Joel Coen; starring Colin Firth, Cameron Diaz, Alan Rickman, Stanley Tucci and Cloris Leachman

This remake of the 1966 comic caper starring Shirley MacLaine and Michael Caine is the first film the Coen Brothers wrote, but did not direct. It was set to be released a year ago and has struggled to find a release date. It has gotten almost nothing but bad reviews. The Coen Brothers did not have any input during or after the film’s production.
“Kill Your Darlings” — limited release Oct. 16; directed by John Krokidas; starring Daniel Radcliffe, Elizabeth Olsen, Michael C. Hall, Jack Huston, Ben Foster, Jennifer Jason Leigh, David Cross and Kyra Sedgwick

Daniel Radcliffe is certainly putting his Harry Potter days behind him by tackling the role of beat poet Allen Ginsberg. Jack Houston (“Boardwalk Empire”) plays Jack Kerouac, and Ben Foster plays Williams Burroughs. The three writers come together because of a 1944 murder.
“The Fifth Estate” — released Oct. 18; directed by Bill Condon; starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Daniel Brühl, Carice van Houten, Stanley Tucci, Laura Linney and David Thewlis

Benedict Cumberbatch (“Sherlock,” “Star Trek Into Darkness”) plays controversial WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in this bio-pic directed by Bill Condon (“Gods and Monsters,” “Kinsey,” “Dreamgirls”).“12 Years a Slave” — limited release Oct. 18; directed by Steven McQueen; starring Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, Brad Pitt, Benedict Cumberbatch, Quvenzhané Wallis, Paul Giamatti, Paul Dano, Scoot McNairy, Sarah Paulson, Michael Kenneth Williams, Alfre Woodard, Dwight Henry and Adepero Oduye

Steve McQueen’s violent, brutal period piece is one of the few films that deals with slavery in America. The film has received astonishing reviews and has made Oscar front-runners of Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender and McQueen.

“Carrie” — released Oct. 18; directed by Kimberly Peirce; starring Chloë Grace Moretz, Julianne Moore and Judy Greer

Stephen King’s first novel was also the first of his works to be adapted into a film. Brian De Palma’s 1976 horror classic has already been remade once before as a TV movie in 2002. There are only two things going for this seemingly pointless remake: director Kimberly Peirce (“Boys Don’t Cry”) and star Julianne Moore. In the original, Sissy Spacek was so perfectly cast as the painfully shy and frail Carrie. Chloë Grace Moretz is a talented young actress, but she is too much of a beautiful, everyday teenager for the role.
“All is Lost” — released Oct. 18; directed by J.C. Chandor; starring Robert Redford

J.C. Chandor’s second film sharply contrasts his first film, “Margin Call.” “ Margin Call” is a dialogue-heavy drama set almost entirely in an office building, with a cast full of top-notch actors, and “All is Lost” is basically a one-man show with minimal dialogue. This is the first time since 2005 Robert Redford has starred in a live-action film but did not direct it.
“Blue Is the Warmest Color” — released Oct. 25; directed by Abdellatif Kechiche; starring Léa Seydoux and Adèle Exarchopoulos

This three-hour French lesbian romance was given an NC-17 rating for its 10-minute unsimulated sex scene. While the controversy over that scene will cause the film to be released only in select theaters, this year’s Palme d’Or winner at the Cannes Film Festival should be seen by anyone who cares about cinema.

“The Counselor” — released Oct. 25; directed by Ridley Scott; written by Cormac McCarthy; starring Michael Fassbender, Brad Pitt, Javier Bardem, Cameron Diaz and Penélope Cruz

Ridley Scott has directed everything from “Alien” and “Blade Runner” to “Gladiator” and “American Gangster.” Putting him together with this all-star cast and the first script penned by Cormac McCarthy (“No Country For Old Men,” “The Road”) will hopefully equal a gangbuster crime thriller.
“Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa” — released Oct. 25; directed by Jeff Tremaine; starring Johnny Knoxville and Jackson Nicoll

Johnny Knoxville plays his old man character Irving Zisman that originated in the “Jackass” television series and films. The trailer is admittedly funny; who knows if the gag can be successfully sustained over a feature film?